Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to configure my Exchange Server 2 as a Replica of Exchange Server 1

Well
    I have one Domain of Windows Server 2003 R2,(Example : abc.com) and one additional Domain Controller for this domain(abc.com). we are also having two Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition with latest service pack.
    Exchange Server 1 that have all the users mail boxes that we are using
    Exchange Server 2 for only Disaster purpose only,(No mail box configured)
    Now all the Server that we are using that all have SATA HDD.

Now my question is that,
    I want to configure my Exchange Server 2 as a Replica of my Exchange Server 1 without Configure Cluster Service is it possible or not ?

Pl let me now

JJoshi

Re: Help needed for Exchange Server 2003

AFAIK there are 3rd party tools like DoubleTake but apart from that Exchange 2003 does not support any native replica methods apart from clustering (which relies on a shared disk store anyway)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

How are you expecting to recover?

You can backup and restore the database however you will have a possible issue with emails lost between the backups.

As Ossian states there is no database replication technology built in, even a cluster with 2003 is a single copy of the database so it depends on your business requirements. What do you need to achieve?
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Well
        I know that in Disaster suppose I have backup of the Mail boxes so that I can restore in to another Exchange Server 2 (that is for disaster) and I can start the server in that Way right ?

I can not go for the Clulster because I have SATA Hdd so and Cluster does not support SATA.

What are the other way in Disaster suppose my Server 1(That we are using) Down So I can start my Exchange Server 2 (That is for Disaster) as soon as possible.

JJoshi

Comment

For quick 2003 failover you have two options. (off the top of my head).

1. Clustering. This means should the server suffer a hardware fault another server will "become" the live Exchange server and continue working. Failover time is around 5 minutes obviously depending on hardware etc.
          Upside: Pretty quick to failover and cheap
          Downside: Shared storage requirement, No fault tolerance on the database itself. If it is corrupt you still need to restore it.

2. Replication. This replicates the database to another server then uses clever software to make the target server appear to be the original server. The downside to this is extra cost.
          Upside: Target can be anywhere. No requirement on shared storage.
          Downside: Expensive extra software, No fault tolerance on the database itself again (although I believe you can now delay replication so may be able to have a bit of chance with this).

Both of these suffer from the corrupt database problem though. There is no restriction on drive type with clustering either, SATA drives are fine as long as they are shared (SAN etc).

If you don't want to setup either of these then you are pretty much left with restoration from backup. This is fine to a point but if you completely lose one server then you lose any emails after the last backup (if you have cached Outlook setup then you can recover some from this if you have time and a small number of important users).

Restoration from backup is maybe either a dialtone database with recovery storage group or /disasterrecovery switch (generally).

What requirements have the business given you?
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
          X