Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot increase mailbox size more then 2GB

Hello.

I want to increase the mailbox size limit for each user to be 4GB.

I've been following the guides here :

http://www.petri.com/change_store_si...ex2003_sp2.htm

Apparently the previous administrator already done this and increased the database to 35GB. (but I'm guessing that database is not the same as mailbox size).
    He also managed to set 1 user's mailbox to max of 4GB.

Now I want to do the same for several other mailboxes and it gives me the error saying I cannot increase the size limit of the mailbox more then 2GB (in KB).
    I've spoke to him and he doesn't know why it happens.

Could you please help me increase the maximum mailbox limit to 4GB instead of the default 2GB ?

Thanks
    Maxim.

Re: Cannot increase mailbox size more then 2GB

As you are posting in exchange 2003 forum i presume you are referring to exchange 2003

To increase mail box default limit for entire organisation follow following steps:

Open Exchange 2003 EM
    browse till storage group your users are in
    right click on mail store and select properties.
    click on limits tab and enter the value (in KB) for
    send warning (if you want)
    prohibit send ( it could be left blank if you desire)
    Prohibit send recieve for 4 GB(400000 kb)

Hope that helps!
    Rajeev

Comment

Thanks for your replay.
      I already tried that and it still says that I cannot set a size bigger then 2GB (in KB).

You assumed well that we are using Exchange 2003 Server running on Windows Server 2003 R2.

I still need help on this one.

Comment

The GUI does not allow you to set a limit larger than 2gb. If you want to set a higher limit then you have to use adsiedit.msc. Normally though I just remove the limit and let it be.

Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

What do you mean remove the limit ? using the adsiedit.msc or some other way ?
          Because I always thought that if you unflag the mailbox limits at sysytem manager < mailbox store, it will set itself to the default and not unlimited.
          Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm currently searching the adsiedit.msc for the right configuration place, it's big, so if you know please tell me.

Comment

In general, you should not use adsiedit to modify settings that are available in other tools. The setting you are looking for is available in ADUC. On the Exchange General tab of the user properties click the Storage Limits button, uncheck the first box and leave the rest of the boxes blank.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
              In general, you should not use adsiedit to modify settings that are available in other tools. The setting you are looking for is available in ADUC. On the Exchange General tab of the user properties click the Storage Limits button, uncheck the first box and leave the rest of the boxes blank.

Will it be set to unlimited if I uncheck the limits, or will it be set to some default (2GB?) ???

Comment

There are no defaults so it will be unlimited.

Comment

MaximB:

I personally would recommend that the Exchange mailbox be limited to 1Gb. In my organization of over 100 users, several of them have reached mailbox sizes from 5 to 9 Gb.

Exchange mailboxes tend to do some strange things when they exceed 2Gb. I have had issues such as not being able to delete messages, contacts not showing up, and two cases of not being able to access the mailbox at all. The last one sometimes requires building a completely new mailbox.

Rajeevsharma's advice to prohibit send and receive is effective, but can be frustrating to senders as well as the mailbox holder.

Also, be very careful with adsiedit.msc. I admit that I've never used the tool, but all the advice I've received in the past indicates that you could damage your AD tree very easily.

Sorry to be so verbose, but the best practice is to set a hard limit and put an email policy in place that will force end users to keep their mailbox light and you from becoming a slave the Exchange server.

Comment

Working...
                  X