Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 - The Set of Folders Could Not Be Opened

Hi there,

I have recently been having this problem, exchange would work find throughout the day and then when the next day comes and people try to use it at around 7am, it shows the following error on outlook for users:
    "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook Window. The Set of Folders Could Not Be Opened"

And when I see the exchange server, I notice the hard drive is working hard on something, but I cant seem to figure out what it is.

Sophos is currently installed to scan emails on the server.

Exchange is taking 590mb of ram (its a big store)

Problem is resolved by either rebooting the server or restarting the store service for exchange.

Hope someone has had the same problem and found a way to fix it.

Regards.
    Blog: smoothblog.co.uk

Re: Exchange 2003 - The Set of Folders Could Not Be Opened

not enough info to troubleshoot, try running exbpa or list some event id's

Comment

We had a similar problem once - caused by scheduled database maintenance. Restarting the IS, of course, interrupts that. We limit scheduled maintenance to ensure NO two stores overlap (REALLY thrashes the system) and that it ends (by schedule) not later than 3AM, since it really continues its current thread for up to two hours beyond that scheduled end time. To test if this is the problem, wholly turn off maintenance.

Comment

Will do Andy thanks very much, will report back after a few days to see if its that

Comment

I noticed that cidaemon.exe uses around 40-70CPU % most of the time, when outlook is giving the error while trying to connect to the exchange server.

Also been seeing this error on the event log:
          Event Type: Error
          Event Source: BROWSER
          Event Category: None
          Event ID: 8032
          Date: 3/29/2009
          Time: 12:39:22 PM
          User: N/A
          Computer: BF-EXCHANGE
          Description:
          The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{0D1F2DC7-3826-4F91-9210-F9269D129718}. The backup browser is stopping.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
          Data:
          0000: 40 00 00 00 @...
          Also remember that all of this started to happen when updates were applied not long ago from the Microsoft Update site.
          Just cant remember which updates they were
          Last edited by vbjr; 30th March 2009, 13:57.

Comment

Working...
          X