Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange database grows exceedingly

Hello,
    I have an Exchange server 2003 running since four years. Never had any problems. It is a dedicated server with only exchange installed. 300 accounts. Backup daily with NTBackup. I also make a daily image from the whole machine with Symantec Live recovery.
    Since last Tuesday I have experienced the following problems on my exchange 2003 server:
    In the mbddata file transaction logs are made: 5 each minute! which means 25 mb per minute. C-disk was soon running out of space, so I had to enable circular logging. That fixed the space problem. But now the exchange database has grown from 29 gb to 67 gb in two days and is growing with 1 gb per hour. The separate mailboxes don't grow. I use Symantec Antivirus corporate edition 10.1 and never had any problems with it. At the moment I still have 39 gb free space, so by the end of tomorrow I think my exchange server will die. Please Help.

Ronald

Re: Exchange database grows exceedingly

Could be spam, or someone attacking the server (sending emails), do you have security in place? (such as auth enabled to send emails)

You can always move the databases to another location (drive) and then redirect it from within the exchange manager.
    Blog: smoothblog.co.uk

Comment

Have a look for a mailbox that has lots of items and is increasing significantly (you can sort by item count). Once you find it, open it, and see if it is full of spam. Depending on what you find [mail loop, spam, ndr etc] you can then decide how to fix it.
      Does the Symantec AV scan exchange or is it just file level?
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks for your advice. I have looked for such emails and I found one that seemed to cause some sort of loop. Disabled ndr, removed the mail from the queue and the problem seems to be fixed. The only thing it has left me now with is a huge database. Mailboxes haven't increased, but the database is more tah double the original size. Would off line defragmentation solve that problem?
        Thanks again for teh replies

Comment

Can you open the mailbox to see if it is full of junk? If it is you should delete what isn't required (if you have to do this against more than one mailbox you could use exmerge). Every evening, by default, exchange maintenance should post the white space size for the database:
          http://www.amset.info/exchange/event1221.asp
          This will tell you how much space could reclaimed with an offline defrag. If it is still low then you haven't removed the emails that caused the issue.

Don't forget that the deleted items retention will affect the size of the DB but won't show in the size of the mailboxes. If you want to view that click on the mailboxes entry on the left panel in ESM and then the View tab at the top. You can add the deleted items column that way.

Obviously, keep your eye on the queues and so forth for the next few days as well.

Glad you have almost sorted the problem though.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

My exchange seems to be working properly now , however in eventviewer I get the eventID 9582.:
            The virtual memory necessary to run your Exchange server is fragmented in such a way that normal operation may begin to fail. It is highly recommended that you restart all Exchange services to correct this issue.
            Is this resulting from the problems I had? Does a restart in fact correct this issue? I monitored eventviewer on event id 1221 and I got the following results:
            24-3 5;27 71 megabytes free
            26-3 7;00 1697 megabytes free
            27-3 7;01 6666 megabytes free
            28-3 7;01 13550 megabytes free
            29-3 7;01 17890 megabytes free
            So my free space is increasing rapidly now. Should I take action?
            greets

Comment

Working...
            X