Exchange partition running out of space

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange partition running out of space

I keep running out of space on my Exchange partition on my Windows 2003 Server and I have ran out of disk space.

I see most of it is taken up by log files in the E:\Exchange 2003\MDBDATA folder as well as a 27gb Priv1.edb file and a 7.5 gb priv1.stm file.

How do these files get cleared down? Can I manually remove them? they date back to mid november last year.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Re: Exchange partition running out of space

The Priv1.edb and priv1.stm files are the Public Folder database files. Don't touch those. You might want to look at your Public Folders and see what's taking up so much room. As far as the logs are concerned it sounds like you are not backing up Exchange or not backing it up with an Exchange aware backup program and the logs are not being flushed. Don't manually do anything with these. Backup Exchange with an Exchange aware backup program (BackupExec, NTBackup) and have it flush the logs.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      The Priv1.edb and priv1.stm files are the Public Folder database files. Don't touch those. You might want to look at your Public Folders and see what's taking up so much room. As far as the logs are concerned it sounds like you are not backing up Exchange or not backing it up with an Exchange aware backup program and the logs are not being flushed. Don't manually do anything with these. Backup Exchange with an Exchange aware backup program (BackupExec, NTBackup) and have it flush the logs.
      Ok thanks.

What do I need to backup and where to?

Comment

I am currently backing up the Exchange Information Store using Windows Backup Utility, hopefully this should clear down some of the log files.

Comment

Originally posted by TartTec View Post
          I am currently backing up the Exchange Information Store using Windows Backup Utility, hopefully this should clear down some of the log files.
          This worked, now have 30GB free on Exchange partition!!

Comment

Glad to hear it. Make sure you schedule a recurring Full backup to keep the logs in check and to restore from if needed.

Comment

Working...
            X