Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 excahnge accounts in one?

Hi all,

I have a query regarding AD and Exchange 2003.
    Basically a user has changed her name (married), and obviously wants to user her new name. However she needs to keep her old account going for existing contacts and gradually make the transition. Otherwise i would have just changed the name on her AD account etc.
    So, i've created a new AD account for her (with exchange mailbox obviously). I've set her new account up as a delegate on the old AD account, and also in her exchange account (Tools > Option > Delegates), but i'm not sure if that the best way to go about it.

Basically she wants to be able to view both emails accounts in the same outlook profile.
    I've tried right clicking her mailbox and selecting 'open other folder' but it doesn't seem to want to work.

Am i going about this the right way, but have missed something? Or is there a better way to do this?

Any adivce would be most appreciated.

Jacko

Re: 2 excahnge accounts in one?

When you say she needs to keep her old account going do you just mean keep the old email address so it still receives email?
    I would just rename the old account and make sure the old and new email addresses are in the email addresses tab.

What is wrong with having them all in the same mailbox?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I have had the same requirement recently. I renamed her current account but left the logon name as the same, so saved me having to worry about permissions and groups etc.

My recipient poicy after renaming the account created the emai address. I made that the Primary address. This is the email that external users will reply back to. Their old email addresses then still exist.

Alternatively, now you have carried it out using another method, set their old user account (mailbox) to forward all emails to the new account. Ensure that a full control permisison is set on the old account for the new account.

To access the old mailbox, go to the Control Panel. Double click on the 'Mail' Icon. View current mailboxes and double click on the mailbox.

(this is off the top of my head) but there should then be someting called 'advanced options' or similar at the bottom right of the window. In the next dialog box, look for a tab that allows you to add mailnboxes. Add the old mailbox and follow prompts. You then should be able to see it in Outlook.

You need to look at the User account properties in AD to set the email forwarding and permission level. It may have to be done on the Exchange server depending if you have installing ESM on a DC or workstation with ADMINPAK

Comment

The login name shouldn't matter as it uses the SID for security permissions surely?
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys,

Ok, for the moment she needs to retain the old email account due to existing contacts knowing her as her old name.
          I have set the old account to forward to her new one, but if logged in to her new account she doesn't have access to her old account info, like contacts, calendar and mail already sent/received etc.
          If she chooses 'open other folder' she then has to choose what type of items she want to open, be it, mail, conttacts or calendar etc.
          I was hoping that she could just open another mail folder, in the way you could with a .pst, where it just sits below your mailbox in the left hand pane and is clearly distinguishable from your own default mail folder.

This make sense?

To access the old mailbox, go to the Control Panel. Double click on the 'Mail' Icon. View current mailboxes and double click on the mailbox.

(this is off the top of my head) but there should then be someting called 'advanced options' or similar at the bottom right of the window. In the next dialog box, look for a tab that allows you to add mailnboxes. Add the old mailbox and follow prompts. You then should be able to see it in Outlook.
          Virtual, don't think this is possible with Exchange mate, i could be wrong, thanks anyway.

Comment

In which case, Andy's suggestion stands then.
            Just create a new email address for the user to conform to the name change and your naming conventions, make it primary, keep the old one as secondary.
            And Rename the AD account and that should be it hopefully.

Ta
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Ok, what i've done is,
              on the new account (thanks to Virtual for pointing the way), created a new profile and added the old account to it.
              Then when the user logs in to the new account and boots up outlook they are are asked what profile they want to use.
              It means to use the other profile they have to shutdown outlook and relaunch it again to choose the other profile, but that should not be a huge problem.
              They can now also open the other folders mail items and drag them into her new one. The same with contacts and calendars too.
              So, although its a little messy and i would hope there is a better way, it will do for now.

Thanks

Comment

Why not just add another smtp address to her account?
                CCNA, Network+

Comment

lol, please read my posts before such comments!

I've now gone back and re-done it all. I explained to her the best way for it to work, which is indeed to rename her account and add her old email as a secondary smtp address. However she wanted to see both accounts side by side, but i've told her NO!

So, i've renamed her old account and done as i originally wanted to and all is good.

Comment

Originally posted by k.jacko View Post
                    Thanks for the replies guys,

Ok, for the moment she needs to retain the old email account due to existing contacts knowing her as her old name.
                    I have set the old account to forward to her new one, but if logged in to her new account she doesn't have access to her old account info, like contacts, calendar and mail already sent/received etc.
                    If she chooses 'open other folder' she then has to choose what type of items she want to open, be it, mail, conttacts or calendar etc.
                    I was hoping that she could just open another mail folder, in the way you could with a .pst, where it just sits below your mailbox in the left hand pane and is clearly distinguishable from your own default mail folder.

This make sense?

Virtual, don't think this is possible with Exchange mate, i could be wrong, thanks anyway.
                    It is with Exchange. The Mail is on the client PC that has Outlook installed not the Exchange server.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                      The login name shouldn't matter as it uses the SID for security permissions surely?
                      I was posting the same time as you on this one.

My reference was regarding leaving the username the same to prevent a new user profile being created when the user logs on, unless I'm wrong. AFAIK, if the username is changed, when the user logs on they will get a new profile. The SID will be the same but any manual mappings and files in their old profile will be lost.

Edit: Sorry, not lost. It will need to be migrated.

Comment

Glad it is working now. I can't believe she thinks it is a problem to send emails to people that knew her pre-married name and explain this is her new name on the odd occasion people notice and complain!

k'jacko - sorry for the off topic!

I don't believe a new profile will be created because it will use the one already in existence in the registry for that SID too. The path will still show the old username. You can test this by changing the path (and permissions) for an old account already existing on the machine.
                        HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/Profile List/
                        cheers
                        Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                          Glad it is working now. I can't believe she thinks it is a problem to send emails to people that knew her pre-married name and explain this is her new name on the odd occasion people notice and complain!
                          Absolutely!

Still its all sorted so she's happy.

Thanks for all the input guys, case closed.

Comment

Working...
                          X