Mailbox Archive/Multiple User Access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailbox Archive/Multiple User Access

Ok, so our HR department has a mailbox that is used for receiving incoming resumes. This mailbox is beyond too full and the items in there need to move to an offline archive. Problem is, I can do it for one person, but since the entire dept accesses this mailbox, those people wouldnt have access to this archive stored on the local machine of whoever archived the items.

So, whats the best solution to this problem?

We're running Exchange 2003 SP2

Re: Mailbox Archive/Multiple User Access

Why not increase the size limit of this one mailbox or better still have HR clean out old resumes and or post them to sharepoint.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyROZe View Post
      Why not increase the size limit of this one mailbox or better still have HR clean out old resumes and or post them to sharepoint.
      Well, no doubt they will need to clean out older resumes. I think once that is complete, we'll have an idea of how much this mailbox usually contains and I can move to a larger mailbox store. But I'll still need an archive solution. Going forward, Sharepoint might be an option, but for right now I'm looking for more of a quick and dirty solution...

Comment

nothing quick about setting up an archive solution, they are typically complex solutions.

In your case, with a one off mailbox effected, the simplest thing I could think of would be to export the mailbox to a share and then provide the path the users who need access.

Comment

Originally posted by joerockt View Post
          Well, no doubt they will need to clean out older resumes. I think once that is complete, we'll have an idea of how much this mailbox usually contains and I can move to a larger mailbox store. But I'll still need an archive solution. Going forward, Sharepoint might be an option, but for right now I'm looking for more of a quick and dirty solution...
          You could perhaps choose one member of staff to archive the emails. Setup rules in their Outlook and configure a 'share' as Outlook's archive location. I have done this as a temporary measure myself.

The group used to grant access to the shared maibox can then be granted access to the archive location. They can open the archive file using File, Open, Outlook Data File and browse to the archives folder.

I am not sure whether more than 2 can access it at the same time.

Effectively, your making use of Outlook's archive settings and instead of archives going to the default location on the local computer, it redirects to the share.

Going forward, Sharepoint is worth considering. I am also looking in to GFI mail archiver.

Comment

Thanks Virtual. I've created a share directory and group so only they have access to the pst. Now I just need HR to decide how far back they want the mailbox to have emails and I'll test...
            Last edited by joerockt; 24th March 2009, 15:41.

Comment

Interesting... we need a nice simple archive app that will move emails automatically out of the archive mailbox in an SQL box. That would be sweet!

Comment

Working...
              X