Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Migration Wizard fails for IMAP to Exchange 2003 migration

Hello all:

I sincerely hope someone out there can help me on this.. ! Has anyone tried using the Exchange Migration Wizard to migrate mailboxes from an IMAP server to Exchange 2003..!? If Yes, did it work? Here is a little more info on what I am trying to accomplish:

1. Source: IMAP4 server with SSL enabled on port 993
    2. Destination: Our Exchange 2003 Ent SP2 server
    3. I am trying to use the Exchange Migration Wizard, according to MS article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998102(EXCHG.65).aspx
    4. I created the .CSV file manually with the headers and account info for a test account, as specified in the above link
    5. Added optional headers in the CSV file to specifically connect to SSL ports, etc. as described in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.65).aspx

The Migration Wizard keeps failing on me though..! the App Event log displays an error:

--When connecting to SSL port 993:
    Source: MSExchangeMig
    Event ID 14015
    Description: Unable to connect to server 'servername'. WinSock returned error code %2.

OR

--When connecting to non-SSL port:
    Source: MSExchangeMig
    Event ID 14015
    Description: Unable to connect to server 'servername'. WinSock returned error code 0000274C.

Some more info: the source server is at the "head office".. we are on the same physical network, but on separate domains and have no AD relationships between the two domains.

Needless to say, I dont have administrative access to the source server. Neither does the head office IT dept want to be helpful.. they simply said use Outlook! Well, we are looking at migrating a 100+ users from that system to our Exchange 2003 box.. I really cannot spend a 100+ hours, at the least, moving users the "Outlook" way..!

Any ideas/suggestions on this..!? Any other "free" tool that can do the same thing as the Migration Wizard..?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks much guys!!

Re: Exchange Migration Wizard fails for IMAP to Exchange 2003 migration

Those errors imply the server failed to respond. Is there a firewall between you?

Can you log onto that server with imap or onto a share using valid credentials and then try maybe?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hey Andy,

Yes there is a firewall on our side, and I am sure there is probably one on their side too. I thought of this.. either way, I "believe" the previous network admin has already opened the necessary ports in our firewall. I will re-check this and get back...

What ports would need to be opened on our side for the Migration Wizard to work..!? SMTP? Nothing in the documentation mentions anything about ports!

And yes.. I can perfectly connect to their IMAP server using Outlook over SSL port 993. I can also download those emails as PSTs and upload them in our Exchange.. I did that for 5-6 users last week.. its just not practical for a 100+ users!

Thanks for everything..
      VS

Comment

May be worth trawling through these a little as well as yours.
        http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.65).aspx
        http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.65).aspx

I can't find anything specific so maybe it is worth winding up Wireshark and seeing what attempts are made? Not done this type of migration personally though.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks Andy.. will take a look.

By the way, I checked the firewall settings and they were fine. I also specifically added another rule to allow traffic from the IMAP server to my Exchange box, and set it to log traffic.. Its strange, on running the Migration Wizard again.. the logs didnt show any traffic coming across for this rule.. Looks like the IMAP server doesnt really try to "connect back" to Exchange..!

Maybe they have blocked something on their server to not respond to bulk migration tools..

Comment

Ohh.. those were the links I started off with originally Thanks anyway!

Will keep trying and see if I get anywhere.. will post back here if I succeed

Comment

Working...
            X