X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow inbound delivery

Hi,

Exchange 2003 front-end/back-end, mailmarshal smtp and AVG8

Inbound mail is taking longer than usual to be delivered to Outlook (internal and outbound OK).

Mailmarshal reports that the messages have been delivered, although if i try to track the message using Message tracker in ESM it halts after a few seconds. You can close out of it and there are no errors within event viewer.

Mcafee was removed about a fortnight ago although dont believe it happened around this time.

Thanks for looking.

Re: Slow inbound delivery

1. What's the usual? IMHO, there is no usual. It's going to vary, email by email, depending on too many external factors to list here.
    2. If the mail hasn't arrived, how do you know it's late?
    3. Have you looked at the SMTP logs to correlate the SMTP connections with the inbound email?

Comment

Hi Joe,

1) As you say it varies, although delivery used to be almost instant whenever i have tested empty mail prior to this.
      2) According to Mailmarshal which sits on our front end server, the mail has arrived - these times relate to the senders time
      3) Just found the log file and my test (outside) address although not sure what codes to report back!

Thanks for posting!
      Last edited by simonsays; 17th March 2009, 17:17.

Comment

So the mail gets to MailMarshall and then is delayed getting to the Exchange server? Have you checked the time at which the Exchange server receives it to correlate it with MailMarshall? Does MailMarshall make an SMTP connection to Exchange to hand off the messages? If so, you could look at the Exchange and MailMarshall SMTOP logs to see when the connection takes place.

Comment

Hi Joe,

Yes, that is what is happening. In the last test, a message received by mailmarshal at 17:08 didn't appear in exchange until 17:15 and was delivered to Outlook around this time - the headers and log (20090317.log) confirm this.

One thing i did notice is when right clicking the default smtp virtual server that the enable logging is not enabled - should this be ticked?

I have nothing to compare delivery in the past although can clarify the number of users haven't changed although unable to comment on the amount of email being sent/received.

As for the communication method, i am not sure (netstat listed loads, none relating to the exchange server with the mailboxes on it as far as I can see) so have posted in the mm forum.

Thanks for looking.

Comment

Yes, enable the SMTP logging. Then, assuming that MailMarshall makes an SMTP connection to Exchange you should be able to correlate the handoff from MM to Exchange based on the sender, recipient, or message ID.

If, for example, the message comes in to MM at 12:00 and MM makes an SMTP connection to Exchange at 12:00 but the message doesn't show up in the Inbox until 12:05 then you know Exchange is the problem and can focus your investigation there.

If the message comes in to MM at 12:00 but MM doesn't make an SMTP connection to Exchange until 12:05 and the message then hits the Inbox at 12:05 then you can focus your investigation on MM.

Comment

Joe,

Will do, and thanks for your help! Rep left.

Comment

YW and thanks. Keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

Hi Joe,

Just to let you know: Mailmarshal does use smtp to hand off the messages.
                  The infrastructure team have cleared the fault and said it was due to a "port mismatch" between front-end/back-end although lacked any explanation or reason why it happened.

By interested to know what exactly happened and why!

Thanks for your help along the way.

Comment

Glad to help. Usually when someone says there was a "mismatch" but fails to give any specific technical detail it means that they had something set wrong and don't want to own up to it. We all make mistakes though, so I'm not knocking anyboby. It would be nice if they gave you more info so that you could have a better understanding of what was happeneing. Glad it's all working for you now.

Comment

Agreed!

Comment

Working...
                      X