can't log into Exchange 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't log into Exchange 2003

Dear friends Iam the new member of petri.co.il. In fact, iam a regular visitor of petri, but joined forums now only.

Iam using Exchange2003 on a Additional Domain controller running Windows 2003 machine. Unfortunately it got corrupted and i transfered all the mail boxes to another machine also a ADC with Windows 2003, but with another name but i kept the same ipaddress for this new machine also.

Now the problem is all the old users can access exchange through OWA, but the new domain users cannot login to exchange.

Please suggest a solution of this..

thanking you,

Prabhakar

Re: can't log into Exchange 2003

Originally posted by rprabuc View Post
    Dear friends Iam the new member of petri.co.il. In fact, iam a regular visitor of petri, but joined forums now only.

Iam using Exchange2003 on a Additional Domain controller running Windows 2003 machine. Unfortunately it got corrupted and i transfered all the mail boxes to another machine also a ADC with Windows 2003, but with another name but i kept the same ipaddress for this new machine also.

Now the problem is all the old users can access exchange through OWA, but the new domain users cannot login to exchange.

Please suggest a solution of this..

thanking you,

Prabhakar
    AFAIK, if Exchange is installed on a DC, it tends to point everything at that DC. It sounds as if your existing users can logon as they have authenticated before and the mailbox move automatically mapped them. New users probably have issues due to Exchange pointing to the DC it was installed on.

I am not too familiar with Exchange 2003 and how it authenticates, but I had the exact same issue with Exchange 2007 and it ended up being the SPNs on the Exchange server. They were pointing to a DC that had been installed on that box prior to demoting it and installing Exchange. As soon as I repointed them, I could then add new users and I wasn't prompted for credentials, which failed anyway when using the user's logon details.

Comment

Iam a beginner of Exchange and really i don't know authentication priciples and all.

I can login to Domain with users i created but cannot login into exchange. I think that is hte problem with my DNS. If it is the case, please let me know how to create the new mxrecord.

Comment

Originally posted by rprabuc View Post
        Iam a beginner of Exchange and really i don't know authentication priciples and all.

I can login to Domain with users i created but cannot login into exchange. I think that is hte problem with my DNS. If it is the case, please let me know how to create the new mxrecord.
        Ok. You originally mentioned OWA and old users still accessing it and new users being unable to.

Are you using Outlook clients? Are old users still logging in to their mailboxes (Exchange) ok?

MX records are only needed for external SMTP servers and email systems to send emails to you. Internally, you need to make sure that there is a host A record in DNS for the Exchange server.

Can you give more details regarding what you have tested. Also, can you let us know the other servers.

If you didn't demote the old DC, have you cleaned all metadata, DNS entries and AD sites and services objects for the failed PC?

Comment

Is the new "ADC" a GC?

You also do not need to create (or even have) a new MX record internally, if that is what you mean.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
          X