Cannot receive email on Exchange 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot receive email on Exchange 2003

I am having a problem receiving email on our exchange server. Our email was being routed through Postini mail servers until about a week and a half ago. That account was closed. MX records were changed from Postini to mail.texasrosehorsepark.com at web hosting company. A records are present for same and pointing to dedicated IP address provided by AT&T. After propagation time, mail began to work again until yesterday. Now, no external mail is getting to the internal exchange server. Dedicated IP goes to firewall and is forwarded to internal IP of exchange server. Seems like everything should be working but when I telnet to mail.texasrosehorsepark.com 25 externally I get Connection to host lost. I contacted web hosting company and they said everything looks in order there and they can't help. I contacted AT&T and they were no help. Let me know what additional information you need and I will provide it. I am not sure what to try next .

Re: Cannot receive email on Exchange 2003

Originally posted by cliljestrand View Post
    I am having a problem receiving email on our exchange server. Our email was being routed through Postini mail servers until about a week and a half ago. That account was closed. MX records were changed from Postini to mail.texasrosehorsepark.com at web hosting company. A records are present for same and pointing to dedicated IP address provided by AT&T. After propagation time, mail began to work again until yesterday. Now, no external mail is getting to the internal exchange server. Dedicated IP goes to firewall and is forwarded to internal IP of exchange server. Seems like everything should be working but when I telnet to mail.texasrosehorsepark.com 25 externally I get Connection to host lost. I contacted web hosting company and they said everything looks in order there and they can't help. I contacted AT&T and they were no help. Let me know what additional information you need and I will provide it. I am not sure what to try next .
    I have just checked one of my domain names in mxtoolbox and all my MX records etc. are listed. They are hosted with our web host.

I have checked yours and none are listed.

http://www.mxtoolbox.com/

It looks as if no DNS server is currently hosting your MX records.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
      I have just checked one of my domain names in mxtoolbox and all my MX records etc. are listed. They are hosted with our web host.

I have checked yours and none are listed.

http://www.mxtoolbox.com/

It looks as if no DNS server is currently hosting your MX records.
      Then this would be a problem with web hosting company, right?

Comment

Then this would be a problem with web hosting company, right?
        Usually with whom the domain name is registered with. Have a chat with your web host company and ask if they can host the MX records. I take it the domain name is still registered with yourself?

Comment

Usually with whom the domain name is registered with. Have a chat with your web host company and ask if they can host the MX records. I take it the domain name is still registered with yourself?
          Domain name is registered through hosting company with Tucows. When I talked to them about creating PTR MX records they said that they would have to move me to a new CPanel in order to do this because the one I was on was old and that would take an additional 48 hours to propagate mail. I told them that I didn't want to do that. Reality is that I am getting ready to switch hosting companies and will have to go through that anyway. I think I need to make the move immediately since I am having so many problems. I was just looking for a quick resolution to my problem and would be able to time the move to cause less impact on the company email traffic. Current DNS configuration is as follows:
          Built in A records...domain name...host IP address
          Custom A records...directed to our dedicated IP address
          No Built in MX records
          Custom MX records mail.domain name.com - remote.domain name .com
          Just wondering if there is a configuration that could resolve my issue in the mean time.
          Last edited by cliljestrand; 11th March 2009, 20:59.

Comment

It looks to me that the MX records must have existed at some time for routing the emails to your old provider. Are you on talking terms with them? It may be that you can have the Host A record changed to the appropriate IP address of the new host. It would be good to find out who hosted them before.

Someone else may have a quicker solution for you though I feel there is no other option.

Comment

By the way, just put the full name in to mxtoolbox and got this.

10 mail.texasrosehorsepark.com 70.254.63.162 864 00

20 remote.texasrosehorsepark.com70.254.63.16 2864 00

Comment

It looks to me that the MX records must have existed at some time for routing the emails to your old provider. Are you on talking terms with them? It may be that you can have the Host A record changed to the appropriate IP address of the new host. It would be good to find out who hosted them before.

Someone else may have a quicker solution for you though I feel there is no other option.
                The MX records did exist before that routed through an IT company Postini account and then to our exchange. We are not on speaking terms with that company. I just spoke to the owner of this company and discussed the hosting company move and he told me to just go ahead and do the move now in hopes that the new hosting company will be more effective in resolving any mail relay issues. Looks like I am headed down a new path now. Got some back ups to do before the transfer. Thanks for your assistance with this even if there wasn't a temporary solution to the problem.

Cheers

Comment

By the way, just put the full name in to mxtoolbox and got this.

10 mail.texasrosehorsepark.com 70.254.63.162 864 00

20 remote.texasrosehorsepark.com70.254.63.16 2864 00
                  Are the external IP addresses listed above known to you? They are the MX records for your domain name.

Comment

Are the external IP addresses listed above known to you? They are the MX records for your domain name.
                    Those IPs are our dedicated IPs provided by AT&T

Comment

Those IPs are our dedicated IPs provided by AT&T
                      I see. That suggest to me it may be your Firewall rule that is the issue.

Comment

I see. That suggest to me it may be your Firewall rule that is the issue.
                        Firewall rule is set to forward that IP address to internal IP address for exchange server

Comment

I've just successfuly telnetted to your SMTP connection using the below.

telnet 70.254.63.162 25

That suggests maybe a servcie issue on your Exchange server. Restart the Exchange System attendant service and make sure all the Microsoft Exchange services are started. The ones that are set to 'automatic'.

Also, does your SMTP virtual server still accept an anonymous connection? I assume so as I have connected.

Comment

I've just successfuly telnetted to your SMTP connection using the below.

telnet 70.254.63.162 25

That suggests maybe a servcie issue on your Exchange server. Restart the Exchange System attendant service and make sure all the Microsoft Exchange services are started. The ones that are set to 'automatic'.

Also, does your SMTP virtual server still accept an anonymous connection? I assume so as I have connected.
                            I didn't try to telnet the IP, I only tried to telnet mail.texasrose... I did a complete system reboot last night hoping that might resolve the issue but to no avail. I will restart exchange system attendant service and check that services are started.

Yes, SMTP virtual server does accept anonymous connection. Just curious, could that be a security concern?

Comment

I didn't try to telnet the IP, I only tried to telnet mail.texasrose... I did a complete system reboot last night hoping that might resolve the issue but to no avail. I will restart exchange system attendant service and check that services are started.

Yes, SMTP virtual server does accept anonymous connection. Just curious, could that be a security concern?
                              No, it's not. If it doesn't, it won't accept emails from the internet. Well, when I say it's not, anything un-authenticated is always a concern but it is the way SMTP works.

You would perhaps lock it down if email is purely used internally or between different know organisations, so you would share the authentication mechanism to ensure mail delivery.

When I was less experienced, I disabled the ability to receive anonymous connections and nearly learnt the hardway. It took 4 hours for the first user to report an issue with receiving emails.
                              Last edited by Virtual; 11th March 2009, 22:38.

Comment

Working...
                              X