Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help recovering dead exchange 2003 AD server

Hi everybody,
    I have a win 2000 server with SP4 which was my exchange and one of two AD servers.
    the system drive crashed (both mirror drives), which also contained the public folder.
    the default storage drive is o.k
    I saw instructions on how to disaster recover a member server, but what about a AD server?
    I also have a pretty recent backup of the exchange system done with NTBACKUP.
    My final goal is to make the exchange server a member server only with windows 2003 server R2.
    can you refer me to an article or give me guidelines on how to get this done?
    10x

Re: Need Help recovering dead exchange 2003 AD server

Originally posted by noamis View Post
    Hi everybody,
    I have a win 2000 server with SP4 which was my exchange and one of two AD servers.
    the system drive crashed (both mirror drives), which also contained the public folder.
    the default storage drive is o.k
    I saw instructions on how to disaster recover a member server, but what about a AD server?
    I also have a pretty recent backup of the exchange system done with NTBACKUP.
    My final goal is to make the exchange server a member server only with windows 2003 server R2.
    can you refer me to an article or give me guidelines on how to get this done?
    10x
    If you still have another AD in the domain, which was part of the Exchange organisation, you initially need to make sure it holds all FSMO roles, is a GC and has DNS, ideally AD integrated.

You may need to seize FSMO roles to it, clean the metadata of the failed DC, remove any SRV records for it from DNS and check AD Sites and Services.

When you rebuild the Exchange server, make sure you call it the same name as the failed DC that it was on before. This will allow your clients to map to it considerabally easier and save you a lot of recovery time.

http://www.petri.com/seizing_fsmo_roles.htm

With regards to Exchange, install it on the member server after carrying out the above, restore the Exchange database using NTBACKUP and then you can mount the databases. You may need to use eseutil if the database doesn't mount and you will probably need to tweak some permissions on the Information Store. It all depends whether it mounts to start with.

The restored database will have a GUID for the failed DC (Exchange), so they may need tweaking.

I had the same as you and restored successfully as having another DC up and running saves a lot of time.

Also, make sure DHCP is also on the DC, if you use it.

Comment

Working...
    X