Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to creat backup Exchange When Existing Exchange has been down?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to creat backup Exchange When Existing Exchange has been down?

Hi,

Pls any one tell me how to make a another exchange when existing exchange has been down (DC and Exchange on same Machine). I have all backup tapes with me. i want to install it on another machine because the older machine has been burned out.

Pls help.........

Thanksssssss

Re: How to creat backup Exchange When Existing Exchange has been down?

Originally posted by wise_scorpions View Post
    Hi,

Pls any one tell me how to make a another exchange when existing exchange has been down (DC and Exchange on same Machine). I have all backup tapes with me. i want to install it on another machine because the older machine has been burned out.

Pls help.........

Thanksssssss
    I assume you now have no DCs on the domain? Do you have a system state backup and backup of the Exchange information store?

If you don't have any other DCs and the hardware is different on the backup server, you can look at using this procedure to restore AD.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263532/en-us

Exchange data will be in AD, so providing you have database backups, you should be ok. However, it may be the case that you can still remove the hard disk drive from the failed server, use an appropriate device to connect it to a USB port or something similar and copy the Exchange transaction logs and databases.
    Last edited by Virtual; 11th March 2009, 09:46.

Comment

It would be good to do a quick google for "disaster recovery active directory" and "disaster recovery exchange" too.
      As Virtual has stated though, you need to provide a bit more information.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi,
        Andy, As you need more information are as follows.

I have complete system state backup + backup of C: drive, It was only one DC + Exchange 2003 in the entire forest means we don't have ADC or backup server.

Now in order to get Exchange up, we have one more machine and we want to install DC and Exchange on this machine.

Yes, the hardware of new machine is entirely different from old machine.

Comment

Originally posted by wise_scorpions View Post
          Now in order to get Exchange up, we have one more machine and we want to install DC and Exchange on this machine.
          Reading your post it isn't clear - was this a single server setup previously? I.e. Exchange and DC on the same box. If so no problem, if they were seperate boxes I don't know if you'll be able to restore a standalone Exchange Server onto a DC without things breaking.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Yes, ..DC and Exchange was on same machine........
            Now the DC and Exchange both are down.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
              I assume you now have no DCs on the domain? Do you have a system state backup and backup of the Exchange information store?

If you don't have any other DCs and the hardware is different on the backup server, you can look at using this procedure to restore AD.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263532/en-us

Exchange data will be in AD, so providing you have database backups, you should be ok. However, it may be the case that you can still remove the hard disk drive from the failed server, use an appropriate device to connect it to a USB port or something similar and copy the Exchange transaction logs and databases.
              In which case, my post will be relevant to your situation, if the hardware is different.

Comment

Working...
              X