No announcement yet.

Exchange 2003 Authentication for Workgroup/External Users

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 Authentication for Workgroup/External Users

I recently took over a bear of a migration that has me stumped! The company has three Exchange 2000 servers that are part of separate Win2K domains that are in different physical sites connexted over a VPN. Name resolution is configured and working between all sites. Previously a hosting provider was holding the actual email domain on a fourth external mail server and each user had an exchange account and a pop3 account set up in their outlook profile. What a mess!

At one of the locations I have set up a new Windows 2003 domain and Exchange03 server and I have created an Active Directory database that contains a valid username and password for every user. Users logging into the old domain(s) can access network shares on the new servers over the VPN. I will begin migrating users to the domain as soon as possible but in the meantime I need them all working on the new exchange server.(I need the hardware from the old exchange servers to bring online new DCs at the remote sites).

The problem is that I have a mixture of Outlook 2000, 2002/XP and 2003. When I connect an Outlook 2003 to the new server I get a username password box, enter a password and check save and thats that. The 2000 and 2002 Outlook clients want a username, password and domain every time outlook opens. I want to disable this until the migration is done or find a way to make the older outlook save the passwords. I do not understand why this happens because I thought Exchange 2003 used built in Windows Authentication and on the same computers that I have this problem I can map a network drive to the new Exchange server and save a file.

To make matters worse there are some XP Home laptops floating around that have a local username and password that matches their domain credentials. It is going to take a while for me to convince management to let me burn them.

This sucks! Please help!