Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Minute delay on outbound mail

Hi experts,

I have recently spotted some very odd behaviour on one of our Exchange Servers.

Basically, when a mail is sent to an external recipient, it takes up to 10 minutes to arrive. We can see the message sitting in the SMTP queue, it just doesn't want to go anywhere.

DNS etc is all working fine, the messages do go eventually. We have a second server in the organisation that uses the same SMTP connector and that has no delays.

One odd thing is that there seems to be a number of messages that remain in the queue for a long time (Until they expire), these messages all come from a sender of "<>" and are addressed to large distribution groups that we have in the organization.
    These messages also seem to appear and disappear at random....

Has anyone got any pointers on what to look at first, or an explanation as to why certain messages appear in the queue with <> in the sender field?

Many thanks

Jonathan
    MCSA/MCSE 2000
    MCSA/MCSE 2003
    CCNA

I love pies.

Re: 10 Minute delay on outbound mail

OK - i have changed the retry interval down to 5 mins - mail now goes out taking up to 5 mins instead of ten.

The <> messages are constantly placing the queue into retry mode. Does anyone know how i can find out why these messages are constantly retrying?

I know that the mails are going through to certain recipients - would they be stuck in the queue if there was certain recipients they could not reach?

The other thing to bear in mind is that the server has a smarthost. All mail for the smtp connector goes through an Anti-Spam device on the way out....
    MCSA/MCSE 2000
    MCSA/MCSE 2003
    CCNA

I love pies.

Comment

Re: 10 Minute delay on outbound mail

<> are blank senders and typically should be filtered.
      Sounds to me like you have a NDR spam issue.

If you look in any of the retry queues are they postmaster messages ??

Enable filter blank senders and filter rcpt's not in directory and you should be fine.

http://www.amset.info/exchange/filter-unknown.asp

Comment

Working...
      X