End User Manage Contacts in Distribuiton Group

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End User Manage Contacts in Distribuiton Group

I have a distribution list within Exchange 2003 that contains both internal users as well as external email addresses. I know that in order to add external email addresses one must create contacts and then add the contact to the distribuion group. The problem is that the end user wants to manage the members of the distribution group. For internal users this is not an issue as the end user can add any internal user (via the managed by tab). The problem is that if they want to add an external email address I have to create a new contact (thus they aren't really managing the distribuion list) or I have to give them ADUC and the ability to manage an OU. Is there any way around this issue? Let them truly manage the distribution list by adding both interanl and external email addresses?

Re: End User Manage Contacts in Distribuiton Group

IMHO you have given the solution yourself:
    Give them ADUC, delegate control of an OU and create a custom task to create / modify contact objects

If you are lucky, you will find a delegate control template you can add to do this to save tweaking the properties
    Here is a starting point http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M..._22529387.html
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you. I guess I shouldn't be so wary of giving someone ADUC. I guess I also need to learn about custom tasks.

Comment

Without delegated control, ADUC is totally useless to the user
        You could also look at custom ADUC consoles to focus them on one task only
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes. I'm following the directions for the delegation in the Experts-Exchange link you provided. It is very helpful. Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X