Only One NLB Node Working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only One NLB Node Working

I'm setting up NLB for the first time and am running into a little problem.

Here are some facts:
    1. I have to identical machines.
    2. Each has one NIC.
    3. Both have the same TCP/IP NLB Settings (except for the node IP)
    4. The node IPs and cluster IP are in the same subnet (we only use one)
    5. The node icon in NLB Manager on Server1 (for Server1) is a little computer with a yellow box around it
    6. The node icon in NLB Manager on Server2 (for Server2 is a little computer with a green box around it
    7. From a server outside of the cluster, I ran NLB Manager and connected to an existing cluster. I can connect to Server2's node IP and select the cluster. Then the history pane says, "Loading configuration information from host Server1" and Server2 but only Server2 is shown in the scope pane (with a green box around a small computer icon)
    8. If I try to connect to the node IP of Server1, a dialog box says. "This host is not part of a cluster."

I understand that in a one-nic cluster, the nodes can't communicate so they can't see each other in NLB Manager, but they should both appear in the NLB Manager on a third server (since they've got the same node and cluster settings).

What gives? Thanks.

Oh, and I put the thread in this forum because they're going to be OWA 2003 servers.
    Last edited by mhashemi; 4th March 2009, 03:49. Reason: added line

Re: Only One NLB Node Working

Here is a little update:

1. I tried using NLB on a different machine (mine) and was able to add Node1 to the NLB Manager (it has a little green box icon)
    2. When I try to add Node2 to NLB Manager from my machine, I get a message that says, "No interfaces are available for installing a new cluster."
    3. I can RDP to Node2 and it looks like the TCPIP settings for the NIC are setup correctly (under both Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and Network Load Balancing)

Can anyone offer any insight?

Comment

Somebody out there is using NLB. Any ideas about this issue? Or maybe where I might find someone else who can help?

Comment

Originally posted by mhashemi View Post
        Somebody out there is using NLB. Any ideas about this issue? Or maybe where I might find someone else who can help?
        I'm by no means an expert but I seem to remember a multicast/unicast setting you need to configure for clusters with 1 NIC.

Another thing, is definetely Network Load Balancing and not a cluster you are setting up?

NLB distributes the load and the data is located on each server, clustering may involve the data synching in some way and involve maybe shared access to the same data for the cluster.
        Last edited by Virtual; 10th March 2009, 14:43.

Comment

Right, I am only setting up NLB. I'll double check that it is set to Unicast.

Comment

Since the servers came from the same (non-sysprep'd) image, the NICs shared a GUID. KB 828258 says as much. I reinstalled the NICs and can connect to both nodes now.

Thanks.

Comment

good catch. That's one of the reasons you should always use sysprep when creating system images.

Comment

Working...
              X