Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk Fragmentation Exchange 2003

Hello All,
    My question regards Windows disk fragmention Vs. Exchange Db fragmentation.
    Our servers D-drive is 409g w/46g free space, it is home to our main exchange Db of about 288g.
    Looking at the Windows defrag analysis - this drive glows in the dark red! Very heavy fragmentation!
    If I copy off our Exhcange Db's - delete them - do a Windows defrag - and then copy them back. Will this solve our proformance issues?
    Doing a offline defrag on a Db this large could take 3-4 days to complete - is there other options?

Thank-you,
    Matt

Re: Disk Fragmentation Exchange 2003

see this post here Especially Simons solution.

With regard to disk defrag; It is not related at all to exchange defrag. The reason its "Red" is that exchange is one hugh file, if even a tiny bit is fragmented, on disk, then its all red.
    Don't worry about its thats normal, it will always be that way.

Post back if you need anything else.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thank you!
      Do you know of any product that will do the same thing as eseutil (offline defrag) in alot less time?
      Or how we should go about defraging a 288g db?

Thank you again!

Matt

Comment

None that I am aware of.
        Did you read that other thread?
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I use Perfect Disk which is a GUI based tool for defragging /exchange databases. Im not sure if its faster than esutil but its much easier to use than the command line and you can set schedules outside of hours to prevent downtime on the exchange environment if a defrag is required. Note: you need the equivalent amount of space as the size of the database to peform a defrag.

Comment

Thank you for the Perfect Disk tip - I will explore it further.

With a Db like mine - 288g - it would take 3-4 days of offline time to complete. With Perfect Disk - can the 3-4 days of offline time be broken down into 6hr chunks at night over a period of weeks?

Thank you again!

Comment

I cant tell you postively as the version im using is out of date and the newer versions have newer features. That being said i doubt it as the exchange database is a contiguous slab of data and cant be done bit by bit. The other option would be to create a new mailbox store and migrate the users to the fresh database.

Comment

We are planing on upgrading our drive space and doing just that. But it would be nice to get this under control before then.

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                X