• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot assign categories to shared contacts... greyed out

Here is my environment
    Windows 2003 Server R2 w/ SP2 domain environment
    Exchange 2003 single server w/ SP2
    Outlook 2007 w/ SP1 client
    I have a couple different admins who are viewing shared contacts of people they manage and when doing so it looks like the cannot add/change the categories of these. When going into to make the change everything is greyed out (see screen shot below.) This has happened with multiple users on both ends of the spectrum. Anyone ever see this?

Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Re: Cannot assign categories to shared contacts... greyed out

It would seem to me that maybe it's a client permission issue on the shared Contacts. What role do the admins have on the Contacts in question: Editor, Author, Owner, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      It would seem to me that maybe it's a client permission issue on the shared Contacts. What role do the admins have on the Contacts in question: Editor, Author, Owner, etc.?
      Currently owner, but I have tried all options

Comment

I think that you cannot add new categories to someone else's master ategory list, and so you may like to look here and see if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297405

But if that does not help, I have a feeling that it is because of being a shared contacts list, so adding new categories would not work as they cannot be added to all users with rights to that contacts list. Because of that, adding is disabled.
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.
        MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
          I think that you cannot add new categories to someone else's master ategory list, and so you may like to look here and see if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297405

But if that does not help, I have a feeling that it is because of being a shared contacts list, so adding new categories would not work as they cannot be added to all users with rights to that contacts list. Because of that, adding is disabled.
          But they have rights I set them as owners. Your article describes Outlook 02 & 03, and a migrating categories. I just want to be able add or even make a change neither of which we can do

Comment

Was this ever solved? I am having the same problem.

Comment

No it was not, I am still having this issue. It is quite annoying because it works for some users and not others.

Comment

So I just found out something weird. I create a new profile for this user, and I use that profile. I am then able to make changes/add categories with no problems. When I close Outlook and then re-open it, the issue occurs again. GEEEEZZZZZZ! I also tried this on a newly imaged system and had the same issue, it is running Office 2007 SP2 also
                Last edited by brcmadmin; 22nd May 2009, 01:05.

Comment

Ok so I called Microsoft and this is the final answer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918717

Comment

Working...
                  X