Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• move exchange 2003 to new server

hi,
    i am very fresh to this and have to move existing exchange 2003 server to new server. (Server AAA has win2k3 sp2, DNS with exchange 2k3 sp2 installed).
    now i have to move Server AAA to Server BBB where only win2k3 sp2 installed.
    in other words, Server BBB should act as Server AAA - this is my requirement.
    what is the best and easy method to make this happen. step-by-step help is highly appreciated.
    thanks you.

Re: move exchange 2003 to new server

Does server AAA perform any functions other than Exchange, like AD, DNS, DHCP, etc., etc.? Are you replacing server AAA completely or will it stay in the network?

Comment

Server AAA perform only AD and Alternate DNS and nothing else. You are right, completely replacing Server AAA and it won't be there in network.

Comment

So your server BBB will become the only server on the network?

Comment

you are absolutely right.
          Server BBB will occupy the place of Server AAA.

Comment

I see. So there will be an AD move as well. I am not sure with regards to moving Exchange from a server that also has a DC installed as Exchange tends to be integrated deeply in to the DC, if installed on one. It will break of that DC is removed.

I am sure others will be able to advise though.

I know that usually you will 'adprep' the domain, if the new server you are moving to, or adding as a DC, is a different server version. You then transfer FSMO roles. The move will hinge on how Exchange needs to be moved.
            Last edited by Virtual; 17th February 2009, 18:03.

Comment

Provided there is no need to retain the same Exchange Server name (which there shouldn't be given that the original post lists 2 distinct server names) then a swing migration should be doable. Install the new server in the domain, promote it to a DC and GC and then transfer the FSMOs from AAA. Install Exchange and do a swing migration. Once everything is working you can prepare AAA for decomissioning.

Sembee's guide is a good place to start.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
              X