RPC over HTTP/S

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPC over HTTP/S

So it works internally but outside the firewall, no luck. Other than 80 and 443 is anything else needed for an Outlook client to connect to the server?

I checked certs too, they work, so does OWA.

I'm just baffled that I cannot get this to work outside the firewall.

Exchange 2003 Enterprise, latest patches.
    Client is XP
    Outlook is 2003 and 2007
    I checked the config in both versions but don't see anything wrong.

I also searched this forum and found several threads but nothing that is helping me. I have to think it's firewall related at this point...

Re: RPC over HTTP/S

Is it published by an ISA server or is there an other firewall in place?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to mention. It's a sonicwall firewall using one-to-one nat for public/private IP's. I opened 80 and 443 but something seems to be hanging up the flow of data.

I get a login prompt but nothing works. I did the whole domain\username thing too - even used nbios names with no luck.

Comment

Follow this link and conduct the Outlook 2003 RPC/HTTP test and tell us what the results are.

https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

Comment

Got it. I feel like a dummy now. I had NTLM selected and just needed basic checked.

Works fine.

Comment

Results:

Attempting to Resolve the host name xxx.xxx.com in DNS.
            Host successfully Resolved
            Additional Details
            IP(s) returned: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Testing TCP Port 443 on host xxx.xxx.com to ensure it is listening/open.
            The port was opened successfully.

Testing SSLCertificate for validity.
            The SSLCertificate failed one or more certificate validation checks.
            Tell me more about this issue and how to resolve it

Additional Details
            The SSL Certificate was issued by xxx and is not trusted by Windows, if this is an internal CA and not trusted by our server, please check the box to ignore trust when performing the test (Note: this option is not available for the RPC/HTTP test).

Comment

So it looks like you're using a self issued SSL certificate. Is that the case? If so, you could try to install the cert into the cert store on the client but that's a hassle and everyone is going to recommend that you use a commercial cert.

Comment

I do have my own CA. It's easier because we have several web based apps. Getting commercial certs would be costly.

Comment

So is everything working then? If not, then you'll need to install the self signed cert on every client machine to get it working. Outlook has no mechanism for prompting the user to trust the self signed cert.

Comment

Everything is working now. Is there a way to get rid of the username/password prompt every time?

Comment

Working...
                    X