Negotiate Authentication in Outlook and Exchange 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negotiate Authentication in Outlook and Exchange 2003

I'm unable to add an exchange user in Outlook automatically. It prompts for a password and the network password does not work. When I go to "More Setting->Security Tab and select Kerberos or NTLM for authentication, it works.

I've check the Default Address lists, GAL and OAB (All) configurations. The Replication is all set to the correct server.

The Mailbox Store is also set to the correct Default Offline Address Book. I've tried to Rebuild the DOAB and no luck. I do see the GAL in preview (live).

Please help.

Re: Negotiate Authentication in Outlook and Exchange 2003

Is it Outlook 2007?

Comment

Yes, it's Outlook 2007 and Exchange 2003 Ent w/SP2. We had an Exchange 2003 STD on the DC and I'm removing it once this one is fully function on the new server. When I put the old server in the configurations, there are no problems. Do you think it's a MAPi problem or a Replication problem?

Comment

I see. The only issue I have ever had with Outlook 2007 not automatically connecting was when I installed Exchange 2007 on a server that had been a DC for redudancy but had been demoted and I realised that the SPNs of the server was pointing at itself, with it having been a DC. I set the SPNs to look at the DCs on the domain and it was ok after that.

It may worth just checking the SPNs though I am not sure whether that effects Exchange 2003 the same.

MAPI will be configured when it gets its settings from the Exchange Server, so suggests to me it will be Exchange server related.
        Last edited by Virtual; 14th February 2009, 01:47.

Comment

I've used setspn.exe tool to set the SPN's but no luck.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

P.S. If I use the DC name, it connects with no problems. It translate it to the exchange server and it connects. This not an automatic process nor an optimal workaround.

Comment

Is the workstation a member of the domain? If it is, then you shouldn't get any prompts at all.

Simon.
            --
            Simon Butler
            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Yes it's member workstation on the domain. That's the problem, it's prompting for a password when using the exchange server name but if I use the DC name, I have no problems. This makes a non automatic process. I can't confure the settings on 30 computers Please help. I've looked everywhere and this seems to be rare incident.

Comment

Two things:

1. If you're using setspn to fix the problem you're going way too deep and in the wrong direction.

2. Have you moved the users' mailbox to the new server?

Comment

Not sure with SPNs. I know with an Exchange 2007 server and Outlook client I was getting prompts as below. The Exchange server was trying to do the authentication by using is SPNs to connect to a DC and as th SPNs were pointing to iself, which wasn't a DC, it wasn't working.

I must admit though, I am not too sure about Exchange 2k and 2k3.

Comment

Working...
                  X