"Exchange Server Unavailable" when connecting via VPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Exchange Server Unavailable" when connecting via VPN

I have been back and forth with my VPN equipment provider and last night they wrote me off and said they can't help. Here's the deal.

Of about 20 folks that regularly use our VPN 6 or 7 have a hard time using Outlook across the VPN. For the others it works beautifully. Everyone is configured the same and no elaborate setup on our part here. Every user is using the Windows VPN client on XP and connect via a PPTP tunnel.

When a problem user connects and tries to open Outlook they get the message that the Exchange Server is Unavailable. I can ping IP addresses on our LAN on problem machines while connect to VPN. I can also ping and connect to servers via DNS name. I can also access our internal DNS servers via problem machines too. I watch our traffic monitor on the firewall and no traffic is being blocked for remote users trying to connect to Exchange. I have tried everything n the book and have spent hours on tech support. It seems to be isolated to just a few users. This just started to happen recently after doing a software upgrade on our VPN appliance. THAT is what I think the issue is somehow, but after hours on support with top tech support folks from the VPN provider I give up and so do they.

Even if the fix is right in front of my nose and simple I'd be happy to figure it out by this point.

Re: "Exchange Server Unavailable" when connecting via VPN

Has this always happened?
    Can you ping the netbios name and the fqdn for the exchange server(s)?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      Has this always happened?
      Can you ping the netbios name and the fqdn for the exchange server(s)?

It has not always happened. You can typically ping the server name of the Exchange box. Even when you can and get the replies Outlook just wont connect.

Comment

What is the VPN appliance?
        The PIX / ASA have nat-traversal commands for example.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
        X