No announcement yet.

server.domain.local #5.7.1 smtp;554 5.7.1

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server.domain.local #5.7.1 smtp;554 5.7.1

I have some users that get blocked on sending emails to clients that use a spam host (mostly those that use, the error is as follows:

server.domain.local #5.7.1 smtp;554 5.7.1 Likely unconfigured DSL/CABLE hostname (A).

I suspect it is the configuration on the Exchange server but not certain. I worked with Microsoft a few months ago to get this properly configured but I don't think it is correct. When email goes outbound it is being sent with FQDN name of "server.domain.local" (as shown above) which is not routable on the Internet but this was Microsofts best practice recommendation.

Here is my configuration:
    I installed a new Exchange Server 2003 standard edition on a new server to migrate from an SBS server configuration both running on Windows Server 2003. Exchange and the OS both have their respective SP2's installed. No front end Exchange server at this point, PostINI routes all email to our firewall which directs the email traffic directly to the Exchange server.

I have successfully migrated all mailboxes over to the new server and about to uninstall Exchange on the SBS server but I'm trying to resolve some issues first.

I suspect the configuration in the ESM under Administrative Groups -> First Administrative Group -> Servers -> servername -> Protocols -> SMTP and under the properties of Default SMTP Virtual Server -> Delivery tab -> Advanced. The FQDN name Microsoft had me enter was servername.domain.local. When you check DNS of course this is successful because it checks the internal DNS entry, but doesn't mean it is correct. This is basically the same configuration that was on the SBS server but I didn't have this problem (or at least nobody complained when all mail was on the SBS server).

Anyway, I suspect this FQDN name should be something more along the lines of or but was wondering if someone could confirm or make any other recommendations. Is there another configuration I may have missed that will "mask" the domain name as the proper routable domain name? (when I say mask I don't mean I am trying to spoof or fool someone into thinking I'm someone else, I am just trying to make sure our email goes out as the proper / correct domain name).

Thank You,
    Last edited by JasNick; 12th February 2009, 14:18.

Re: server.domain.local #5.7.1 smtp;554 5.7.1

Yes, the FQDN should be the same as your MX record. So if your MX record is then that's what the FQDN should be. When your server makes an SMTP connection to another server, it uses the FQDN in the HELO command to identify itself. The other server will probably do a lookup on that and check several things (depending on what spam filtering they're using), like SPF, Rverse DNS record, etc. So in your public DNS you should have:

1. An A record for that points to the valid public ip address that you NAT to your Exchange server. (

2. An PTR record for the A record above (x.x.x.x)

3. An MX record that points to the A record (

On your Exchange server SMTP connector the FQDN should be

Thank you, I knew that didn't look right when they told me to change it. But you know they are supposed to know what they are talking about so you take their word for it until it doesn't work.

So I would use instead of or does it matter?

Thanks again, I'll put this in place and have the user try it.

I use whatever my MX record is: So if my MX record is, then I make the FQDN