Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003 can't connect to Exchange Server

Hello all,

The following error is generated when I first open Outlook 2003 on my laptop:

"Unable to open your default e-mail folders. You must connect to your Microsoft Exchange Server computer with the current profile before you can synchronize your folders with your offline folder file."

Here is my current situation:
    I have installed Windows Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2003 on my desktop for testing. So Domain name is created and some network users added in Active Directory.
    On my laptop I login as administrator and join the laptop to Domain (sucessfully), then restart the machine and login as a normal user (already created in Active Directory) is also succesfully.

I did a little change on IIS setting, so a user able to login to, read/send e-mail through Outlook Web Access.

Now I'd like a user to be able to use Outlook 2003, so a user open Outlook 2003 for the first time, then
    Outlook 2003 Startup appear then click Next,
    On Server Type select Microsoft Exchange Server > Next
    On Exchange Server Settings, enter "ServerName.XXX.local" in Microsoft Exchange Server text box (also checked Use Cached Exchange Mode), then enter "UserName" in User Name text box (click Check Name button to verify user and username is underlined) > Next
    Congratulations! message generated > Finish, close the wizard... wait for a while...and the above error is generated...

I've been searching the solutions on the net but none of them solve this issue.

Could anyone please show me what I've done wrong on Exchange Server setting or Outlook? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Re: Outlook 2003 can't connect to Exchange Server

Have a look at the Mail settings in Control Panel. View existing accounts and make sure that the profile is set to Exchange.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Virtual,

It is the Outlook processes e-mail for the existing account (as a user creates e-mail account for the first time) to Exchange (as default). I am pretty sure that the user e-mail account setting was correct when I first create it as I described in my previous post. But the problem persists everytime user open the outlook. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Comment

Strange one. I know Outlook uses the MAPI profile on the local machine. The only time I have had a similar problem was when a local profile and Exchange profile existed in the Mail settings. There was a drop down box that I needed to click on to change to the Exchange location.

Am I right in saying that only Exchange mailbox account is present there?

In fact, reading your posts again, it points at issues with the MAPI profile in the Mail settings on the local machine.

In the past, when having these kind of problems, which occur from time to time even though the same process has occured on 100s of other machines, I have just backed up a user's local profile, deleted it, got them to log back on and then opened Outlook again and all was well. I would also get them to test Outlook connection on another PC they haven't logged on to before, before doing so.
        Last edited by Virtual; 9th February 2009, 16:42.

Comment

Step 1:
          Hold down CTRL and right click on the outlook icon on your bottom right hand corner (its near the clock). Click on Connection Status. You will see a window pop up Microsoft Exchange Connection Status. See if your machine is connecting to the Exchange server.

Step 2:
          If its not, ping test to the exchange server from your end. If the test is successful restart System Attendant service.

Do step 1 again to see if your connection status is connected.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
            Strange one. I know Outlook uses the MAPI profile on the local machine. The only time I have had a similar problem was when a local profile and Exchange profile existed in the Mail settings. There was a drop down box that I needed to click on to change to the Exchange location.

Am I right in saying that only Exchange mailbox account is present there?

In fact, reading your posts again, it points at issues with the MAPI profile in the Mail settings on the local machine.

In the past, when having these kind of problems, which occur from time to time even though the same process has occured on 100s of other machines, I have just backed up a user's local profile, deleted it, got them to log back on and then opened Outlook again and all was well. I would also get them to test Outlook connection on another PC they haven't logged on to before, before doing so.
            Yes, only Exchange mailbox is there.
            I've tried remove user profile from the machine and recreate it, also using different user account and different machine but the problem won't go away...

I've still no idea what is the problem...

Comment

Originally posted by rallos98 View Post
              Step 1:
              Hold down CTRL and right click on the outlook icon on your bottom right hand corner (its near the clock). Click on Connection Status. You will see a window pop up Microsoft Exchange Connection Status. See if your machine is connecting to the Exchange server.

Step 2:
              If its not, ping test to the exchange server from your end. If the test is successful restart System Attendant service.

Do step 1 again to see if your connection status is connected.
              From Step 1, on "Exchange Server Connection Status" the only Activity listed is somehing like "ServerName.XXX.local Directory Intel(R)PRO/Wireless.. TCP/IP Established 3/0 ... .... ". Other activities seem to fail prematurely.

From Step 2, ping test to exchange server is successfully and restart System Attendant service. Back to step 1 the problem persists...

Ohhh... I forget to mention that Windows 2003 & Exchange 2003 Server is running on virtual machine (VMware workstation) with host Windows XP Pro.
              Please note that all machines are connected to Linksys wireless router wirelessly, this include the server (on my desktop) using USB Netgear wireless adapter. The Windows 2003 server has it own IP by bridging to host, it also run as DHCP server. So all machines on the local network got their own IP and no issues on ping each other.

So, is there any possiblility the problem (Outlook can't connect to Exchange) caused by this kind of network or by the network adapter on the machines???

Please help me out, this issue starting drive me nuts...

Thanks

Comment

Please elaborate on "Other activities seem to fail prematurely." Can you screenshot the Connection status and paste it here. I do not quite understand what you are trying to describe. Also, it would be best to provide a network diagram of your setup. Becos if your Outlook machine can ping to the Exchange. Network issue is out. I will suspect it to be the server problem.

so your machine is running on VM workstation. please do a ipconfig on all machines and paste it here. So that i can know which machines are sitting in the network.

Usually VMware assigns the ipconfig of the machine using an internal IP segment.

I will need the IP for the XP machine, the Outlook Machine, the Exchange(VM).

Is OWA working as intended?

Outlook 2003 Portion
                Is the FQDN correct? Ping the FQDN of your Exchange and see if the IP is correct. If OWA is working most likely it is the DNS issue.
                Last edited by rallos98; 11th February 2009, 09:50.

Comment

Please elaborate on "Other activities seem to fail prematurely." Can you screenshot the Connection status and paste it here. I do not quite understand what you are trying to describe. Also, it would be best to provide a network diagram of your setup. Becos if your Outlook machine can ping to the Exchange. Network issue is out. I will suspect it to be the server problem.

so your machine is running on VM workstation. please do a ipconfig on all machines and paste it here. So that i can know which machines are sitting in the network.

Usually VMware assigns the ipconfig of the machine using an internal IP segment.

I will need the IP for the XP machine, the Outlook Machine, the Exchange(VM).

Is OWA working as intended?

Outlook 2003 Portion
                  Is the FQDN correct? Ping the FQDN of your Exchange and see if the IP is correct. If OWA is working most likely it is the DNS issue.
                  Sorry about my description on the activities, I meant never establish. Please see the connection status below:

Here is my network setup:

Please see all the IP config of the machines:

Server/Exchange (VM) IP Config:

Host (Win XP Pro) IP Config:

Laptop 1 (Win XP Pro) IP Config:

Yes, OWA working as intended. All users are able to login, send/read email through OWA.

Here is the result of ping from Laptop 1. I am not sure if FQDN is correct:

If DNS having an issue I will investigate it further. I hope the information I gave make sense...

Thanks again

Comment

Can conclude that it is not network issue. Means that your client can see the exchange server.

can you take screenshot of your outlook settings?

tools>account settings> double click on your exchange server. You will see Exchange Settings. Is the server name correct? when you key in your user ID and click on "Check Name" Does it resolves?

Comment

Can conclude that it is not network issue. Means that your client can see the exchange server.

can you take screenshot of your outlook settings?

tools>account settings> double click on your exchange server. You will see Exchange Settings. Is the server name correct? when you key in your user ID and click on "Check Name" Does it resolves?
                      I think the server name is correct and as you can see from the image below, when Check Name button is clicked the username is "Underlined"...

So, I really have no idea what is the problem???

Thanks,

Comment

copy and paste event viewer logs here

any warnings, errors. anything at all.

also try restarting all exchange services.

Comment

Ahhh...Never mind, I figured it out, firewall on the server caused the problem. I did registry changes and configured the firewall. Now all clients can use Outlook 20003 and 2007.

Thanks anyway for your help

Comment

OMG!...........

you said you had your firewall switched off!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X