No announcement yet.

Exchange Ent 2003 SP2 - Replication Process

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Ent 2003 SP2 - Replication Process

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I'd like to first say hi.

I was hired to install a new server on an existing domain.
    This client has one server running as the DC, DNS, DHCP and Exchange STD 2003. They baught a new server (H/W) to upgrade performance. I've installed Win 2003 Ent x32 R2 on it. My plan is to install Exchange Server 2003 Ent (for more room for mailboxes) along with their File Share....etc. I'd like to keep the other server in production with minimal downtime during this migration. I've added to the domain using a different name and the DC can see it with no issues. I've added the PTR Host A record in the DNS on the DC Server and it can be resolved. I've install all the windows updates and required Exchange service, ran Forest Prep and Domain Prep, installed the Exchange Server with no issues reported. I did not replicate the Public Store files yet (is this necessary for this setup and is there an easy way to do this without using PFMIGRATE.WSF?).... Can I start moving mailboxes now? How do I get the new server to take over as the main Exchange Server? I've enabled the SMTP TCP prt 25 on the firewall...Updated the MX Record in the DNS...If I add a new user in the AD, will they have a mailbox on the new server or the original? I'd like to remove the old Exchange Server (no redundancy).
    Last edited by shades; 7th February 2009, 21:13.

Re: Exchange Ent 2003 SP2 - Replication Process

Personally I would initially say you need to slow down a bit.
    If there is already an Exchange server in place then you don't need to run Forest Prep or Domain prep although re-running them will not cause any issues if the default settings haven't been changed.

You do not need to setup A records in DNS as adding the server should do this for you. If you manually create them then the server doesn't have the ability to change them should its IP address change in the future so it is probably best to delete the record and reboot the server.

If you only have one DC on the network then I suggest you get a second one installed as it will help with disaster recovery scenarios. As it stands you need to make sure this new Exchange has the DC set as primary DNS.

With more than one Exchange server, when you setup a user you get the choice as to where it sets up the mailbox.

There is no need for any "downtime" on the old server, you can move mailboxes live however the user cannot be connected during that time so you will probably find it best to schedule it over an evening or two.

Uninstalling Exchange from the old server does have several requirements so read these fully.

You can set the new server as a replica of all of the existing public folders so don't need to use pfmigrate. You can also move the folders onto the other server by right clicking on the PF tree with ESM.

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Re: Exchange Ent 2003 SP2 - Replication Process

I always replicate public folders first, before any mailboxes are moved. Outlook doesn't respond well if the public folders are not on the same server. You need to replicate both public and system folders to the new server first.

It sounds like you are doing a swing migration, if so then my guide will probably help:

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.