Blackberry Professional Software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackberry Professional Software

Has anybody ever used this "BES lite" software that installs directly on the Exchange server? It looks like a pretty awesome solution for small business users (30 max). I'm wondering how the speed (receiving emails) is or if there are any other concerns vs. using a full blown BES.

Re: Blackberry Professional Software

Do not install it on the exchange server, from what I remember its not supported that way.
    Instead install it in a Virtual session on the same server.
    It is very cool and separates the blackberry as a toy (Simon's words) vs a real work tool.

Its identical to the BES, and instant emails and all that good stuff.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I've installed Blackberry Pro on an SBS2003 box no worries and it's just a quick as full blown BES. Good solution for up to 30 users!

Although it does require some MAPI components that are not recommended on Exchange boxes. You should be OK with SBS as these MAPI components are part of the SBS install however like running Outlook on exchange boxes it's not recommended.

There are a few common issues with being able to receive but not send from the device

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912918

And cannot remove users from BB manager via GUI

cmd
      osql -E

1>use BESMgmt
      2>select DisplayName from UserConfig
      3>go

A list of users will now be displayed, note down the user that can't be removed e.g. Gary Cutri (This example name has been added to the next step)

1>use BESMgmt
      2>delete from UserConfig where DisplayName="Gary Cutri"
      3>go
      1>exit
      Last edited by Rednet; 5th February 2009, 04:03.

Comment

I installed this software on a win2k3 member server and so far so good.
        The only problem I'm running into is that it wants you to have a seperate user be added to "log on locally" and and a service. But when I go to modify the local security policy on my member server, the option to add the user is greyed out .. i even tried logging in to the box locallly (not in the domain) to see if that would work but no luck. Has anyone else run into this issue?

According to the instructional video's on blackberry's website that I've been following, they install the software on a windows 2003 domain controller. Although I could not find in their documentation telling you not to install it on a DC, i personally would not want to do that. I've always kept any 3rd party software to a minimum on a win2k3 DC.

Comment

If it cannot be installed on the Exchange server I don't see the benefit of even using it vs. the full blown BES. The CALs cost the same and you can get the BES software for free from your mobile provider. What am I missing?

Originally posted by Rednet View Post
          I've installed Blackberry Pro on an SBS2003 box no worries and it's just a quick as full blown BES. Good solution for up to 30 users!

Although it does require some MAPI components that are not recommended on Exchange boxes. You should be OK with SBS as these MAPI components are part of the SBS install however like running Outlook on exchange boxes it's not recommended.

There are a few common issues with being able to receive but not send from the device

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912918

And cannot remove users from BB manager via GUI

cmd
          osql -E

1>use BESMgmt
          2>select DisplayName from UserConfig
          3>go

A list of users will now be displayed, note down the user that can't be removed e.g. Gary Cutri (This example name has been added to the next step)

1>use BESMgmt
          2>delete from UserConfig where DisplayName="Gary Cutri"
          3>go
          1>exit

Comment

[quote=Jamie;147133]I installed this software on a win2k3 member server and so far so good.
            The only problem I'm running into is that it wants you to have a seperate user be added to "log on locally" and and a service. But when I go to modify the local security policy on my member server, the option to add the user is greyed out .. i even tried logging in to the box locallly (not in the domain) to see if that would work but no luck. Has anyone else run into this issue?

disregard above statement about configuring local security policy. i figured it out that it has to be at the domain level since its a member server.

Comment

Originally posted by goodfish View Post
              If it cannot be installed on the Exchange server I don't see the benefit of even using it vs. the full blown BES. The CALs cost the same and you can get the BES software for free from your mobile provider. What am I missing?
              Not really sure mate? I know it works fine on SBS2003. It provides full function and speed as far as the end user goes.

Comment

Working...
              X