Exchange 2003 send mail fails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 send mail fails

Hello folks, looking for some help if thats possible.

About my system..

Widows 2003 server, exchange 2003 server, 1 mail domain test-test.co.uk, each email address has its own pop3 account online.

The exchange server sits in the head office, with roughly 23 local clients using it for email, all using the test-test.co.uk email domain.

I have another office which has 5 other company members who use an email account on test-test.co.uk. These 5 users are not connected to the exchange server ( no local account on the head office network ), they connect directly to their own pop3 mail boxes, and send email direct using the ISP's smtp server.

I have 2 smtp connector's setup,

1 ) with a cost of 1, and " * " as the address space, and using dns to send, not a smart host.

2) with a cost of 2, and " test-test.co.uk " as the address space, and using dns to send, not a smart host.

On to my issue...

When a member of the head office local domain sends an email to [email protected] ( who is a member of the office with 5 people in mentioned above ), the email does not arrive, and a NDR comes back stating..

"
    The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason. Check the address and try again. If it still fails, contact your system administrator.
    <ltllp.local #4.0.0 smtp;451 Your ip address does not have reverse dns setup, please contact your system administrator> "

Anyone from the head office can email anyone else no problem, except they cant email the 5 people who use the same email domain but are not located in the main office..

Can anyone give me any pointers on where too look? I seem to remember when the exchange server was setup, the engineer had to add the second smtp connector ( test-test.co.uk ) because of this, or something like this....that was a long while ago now..

This issue has only started to happen since last week, with no changes made by myself ( i am the only one whom has access to the exchange server / file server )..

I am lost....HELP?????

Thanks in advance to anyone who posts...
    Last edited by atnixon; 20th January 2009, 14:46.

Re: Exchange 2003 send mail fails

The answer is in the NDR: Your ip address does not have reverse dns setup.

The pop hoster is rejecting email from your Exchange server because there's no reverse DNS record for it. Create a reverse DNS record in your public DNS namespace for your Exchange server.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      The answer is in the NDR: Your ip address does not have reverse dns setup.

The pop hoster is rejecting email from your Exchange server because there's no reverse DNS record for it. Create a reverse DNS record in your public DNS namespace for your Exchange server.

Am, sorry, i dont exactly follow what you mean... ( you'll have to bear with me here.. ) Is this something that i create in the servers DNS reverse lookup zone?

Comment

It has to be done in the reverse lookup zone for the public ip address space. This will be with whomever you get your public ip address block from, which is most likely your isp. They need to create a reverse lookup record for your Exchange server in their reverse lookup zone.

Comment

Being a born cynic, and knowing what ISPs are like, they'll probably tell you to use their smart hosts for outbound email instead.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
            It has to be done in the reverse lookup zone for the public ip address space. This will be with whomever you get your public ip address block from, which is most likely your isp. They need to create a reverse lookup record for your Exchange server in their reverse lookup zone.

Ok, time to give them a ring then. I wonder why i have not had to ring them up before hand to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
              Being a born cynic, and knowing what ISPs are like, they'll probably tell you to use their smart hosts for outbound email instead.

Would this cause me a problem if they do tell me to do this?

Comment

No, it's simple to setup on your outbound SMTP connectors. ISPs have a tendency IME to say use our smarthost because it's less work for them.
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

No, it's simple to setup on your outbound SMTP connectors. ISPs have a tendency IME to say use our smarthost because it's less work for them.

Thanks fo the replys...If i go with the smart host route, do i take it that i just add their smart host to the smtp connector, and use that, rather than using DNS to route?

Comment

Originally posted by atnixon View Post
                    Thanks fo the replys...If i go with the smart host route, do i take it that i just add their smart host to the smtp connector, and use that, rather than using DNS to route?
                    Yes. Lots of ISPs enforce use of smart hosts so they don't have to give out static IPs, but their customers don't want to end up on RBLs.
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Yes. Lots of ISPs enforce use of smart hosts so they don't have to give out static IPs, but their customers don't want to end up on RBLs.

Using a Smart host it is...all work fine now...

Thanks to everyone, especially Cruachan for explaining the smart hosts bit..

Woooohooooo..i can now abuse my branch members via email again now

Comment

No problem, glad it's all working.
                        sigpic
                        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                        X