No announcement yet.

Licensing Issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing Issue

Hi, I just started at my current company and I ran into some issues. The IT person that they had contract setup their Exchange 2003 server running on Windows 2003 SP2 with 10 licenses. When I came in he told me that there are about 5 users who need to be licensed. What I need to know is if the licenses that must be purchased are only for Exchange or must licenses be purchased for the Windows Server also? Also, how much are those licensing running now?

Thank you guys in advance

Re: Licensing Issue

Check in License server manager. If a license server was set up then you will find out the information other wise you need to check with your purchase order how many license you had. did you purchase per user or per device license

Truly speaking when you install exchange server it ask for licenses you can honestly punch the exact no of license you have or accidentally punch more
    then latter put the same information in the license manager if configured. It's like keeping check on your available and used license.
    Thanks & Regards

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Re: Licensing Issue

Please note this forum does not condone ANY violation of license agreements.

To legally use Exchange you must have the required number of Server CALs (either per server, per device or per user) and Exchange CALs for all your users. These must be for the correct versions unless microsoft allow downgrade rights / usage

If you dont use the Windows Licensing Service, you are obliged to keep manual records of licenses
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **