OMA: Some users sync, some don't!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMA: Some users sync, some don't!

I have been working a this problem for about two weeks and there is nothing left to try according to google!

The problem: I have a single exchange 2003 Std. server that supports 5 users. They have been using ActiveSync for about 3 years now without incident. Two weeks ago, two of the five users are no longer able to sync their Windows mobile 6 devices. I do not use SSL or forms based authentication. I have rebuilt the Exchange Vdir using directions found on this site and others. After trying to sync for about 15 minutes, the phones display error 0x85010014. I have reset the phones and recreated the connections with no results. I was successful in configuring each of these user's phones with someone else's user information and it works just fine. I can put one the two failing users back on the same phones and they continue to fail. Also, I can enable unsupported devices via ESM and use a web browser to hit http://server\OMA and login using the failing users information and it works just fine. All syncing takes place over the air, so that rules out desktop firewall issues.

So, to recap....

-two of five users don't work.
    -the other three users work on any of the phones and the other two work on none of the phones
    -Browsing the server\OMA works for all users.
    -I have recreated the exchange Vdir and redirected via registry entry (3 times now) and verified that it is working in the logfile.
    -I have disable all anti-virus policies that I can think of in case of locked files and excluded the exchsrvr directory from being scanned
    -I have backed up the exhange user acount via .pst export on the local client, deleted the users exchange account and flushed the system. Recreated the account, connected Outlook and imported the .pst file back into exchange. The first sync works perfectly, then they never sync again after that.

At this point, I am not sure what else to check/change. Can someone please enligten me!!!!!! This has become a major issue because all of my users work from their vehicles.
    Last edited by cslowery; 16th January 2009, 15:48. Reason: Correction...I meant Activesync, not OMA

Re: OMA: Some users sync, some don't!

Is this published by ISA?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Two things:

1. I think you're referring to ActiveSync, not OMA. OMA is a mechanism for checking your email from a mobile browser. ActiveSync is a mechanism for getting email on a mobile device, including always up to date notifications of new emails.

2. Have you checked the properties of the user object to make sure that user initiated synchronization and up to date notifications is enabled?

Comment

1 more Q as well, how many Exchange servers are involved?
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

Answer to AndyJG247 questions
          -1. No, not published by ISA.
          -1. we only have 1 exchange server.

Answer to joeqwerty questions
          -1. Yes
          -1. Yes

Comment

Originally posted by cslowery View Post
            -I have backed up the exchange user account via .pst export on the local client, deleted the users exchange account and flushed the system. Recreated the account, connected Outlook and imported the .pst file back into exchange. The first sync works perfectly, then they never sync again after that.

At this point, I am not sure what else to check/change. Can someone please enlighten me!!!!!! This has become a major issue because all of my users work from their vehicles.
            Just to be clear, you deleted the user account or the mailbox? If the mailbox did you remove the exchange attributes from the user?

Also, disabling AV generally isn't good enough as there can still be hooks into the system. It usually requires un-installation.
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

Answer to AndyJG247 questions:

-I deleted the exchange mailbox and removed the attributes.
              -If it were the antivirus, all of my users would not be syncing, so an uninstall is not warranted.
              Last edited by cslowery; 16th January 2009, 19:02. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

Does a new user work as well?
                Anything shown in the BPA?

Not sure I agree with you regarding point 2 but each to their own.

anything here too?
                http://www.messagingtalk.org/content/479.html
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

Answer to AndyJG247 questions:

-Yes, new users work.

-This link describes a problem that effects all users. Also, I have verified that ssl is not required.

This problem is not a system wide problem, it is specific to two users. Both users have been syncing for years. Two weeks ago, everything stopped for them. No one else is effected. What would make exhchange activesync not work for two users and work fine for everyone else. I have checked the user properties upteen times. I think that this one will require more than google to fix!

Comment

I agree with you mate.

Are they in a particular OU? Can you compare their permissions (inheritance) or GPOs maybe?
                    Restrictions in IIS maybe (restrictions are what I was thinking with ISA)
                    cheers
                    Andy

Comment

Answers to AndyJG247 questions:

Ok, I ran the BPA and all it complained about was that I did not have a WINS entry and that I had only one global catalog. I added another GC, but refuse to install WINS.

I ran through MS's mobile deployment guide again just to make sure that the IIS settings were up to par and did not find anything out of wack.

Also, I moved the two users to a new OU that does not have GPO applied and even temporarily added them to the enterprise admins group. Still did not work.

I am going to try to delete the user from AD and let it remove the exchange mailbox through normal processing and then add them back and restore from a .pst backup of the users mailbox. I will then import one thing at a time...like mail first, then sync a few times. If good, then import calendar and sync a few times and so on. I am thinking that these two users have something in their mailboxes that might be messing things up. The first time I did this, I only removed the users mailboxes and cleared the exchange settings from the AD user account. Also, I imported the entire .pst file at once.

Will let you know what happens.

Comment

I hate to bring this up this late in the game but here are two suggestions:

1. Have you looked at the web logs for Exchange to see if that provides any clues? OWA, OMA, and RPC over HTTP all log to the IIS logs if you have logging enabled.

2. Could this be a carrier issue? Is there a specific data plan that's needed? Is the carrier blocking any traffic for this user?

Comment

Nothing wrong with late joeqwerty, need ideas at the moment!
                          cheers
                          Andy

Comment

Alright. I completed the steps that I outlined and ended up with the same results. No sync and it the phone may never time out. I actually watched one phone try to sync for 23 minutes before telling me "waiting on network". Then it would eventually give me the 0x85010014 error.

I checked the carrier by configuring the phone to connect to another offices exchange server and it works just fine. Also, the data plan is unlimited.

The IIS logs say that everything is just peachy. No errors.

So, I contacted my ISP and had them check to see if someone turned on their firewall, and they had not. I ran a port scan against my firewall and 80, 443 and 444 are all open as well as a few others. All outgoing traffic is allowed. I started up wireshark and sniffed about 6 syncs coming in over port 80 and there are a few things in the sniff that are questionable, but nothing that says that traffic is being blocked.

So, I then re-did my ealier steps (deleted users, mailboxes, etc...) and re-created them all. I also deleted all of the exhange Vdirs and restarted the system attendant to recreate them and then configured them according to spec if you don't use SSL. Initiated a sync and it eventually failed again. This got me to thinking....what if I just emptied the users mailbox and sync'd? I did just that and the phone will sync succesfully. I added a few tasks and calendar items and everything works fine. So, naturally I then import the users .pst file and BOOM back to square one.

So this takes me back to thinking that it is definatly something inside of the users account.

I deleted all duplicate contacts and calendar items and it did not help.

Any Ideas on what to try next?????

Comment

It appears that the problem is with the contents of the pst file, not the user's account. How big is the pst file? Is there an option on the iPhone to download headers only?

How about importing the pst file to the mailbox, exporting it to a new pst file (selecting to not export duplicates), emptying the mailbox, and importing the new pst file.

Comment

Working...
                              X