No announcement yet.

Making Exchange server the domain controller

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Exchange server the domain controller

I have a client who wants to eliminate their Novell 6.5 server and make their Windows 2003 server which is running Exchange 2003 their domain controller. Obviously they will need to join all clients to the domain but will their be any issue with Exchange configuration?

I realize this is a pretty broad question but any insight anyone can offer would be great.

Re: Making Exchange server the domain controller

In general you do not run exchange on a DC, are you sure about this?
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

How are they managing to run Exchange without an existing domain controller?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Changing the role of the Exchange server after Exchange has been installed is not supported and will usually break Exchange. Therefore if you currently have Exchange installed you will need a separate domain controller.

However if you do not have Exchange installed then you need to make the machine a DC first, then install Exchange. Once Exchange is installed it must stay a domain controller.

Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
        Exchange Resources List:
        In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Well this is what I get for taking their word. I finally got to go in for a site survey this weekend and they were completely wrong. They actually have a W2K3 SBS server which is both the domain controller and the exchange server. The Novell 6.5 seems to be strictly for file sharing.

So this changes the nature of my question completely. They want to eliminate the Novell server as it is old and experiencing a multitude of problems. What effect, besides obviously not being able to access the Novell server, does uninstalling the Novell client have on the domain profiles?

I would suggest to look up some docs on novel support site how to remove it from the existing infrastructure. I haven't worked on novell before but if i had been in your place i would be doing what i just suggested you. Probably quickly build up a vmware lab env and tested out it there.
            Thanks & Regards

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
            Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
            Independent IT Consultant and Architect

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points