Problem with large forwarded messages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with large forwarded messages

We're using Exchange 2003 / Outlook 2003 and have a user who has acquired a Blackberry. Inbound messages flow to the user's account and are then actively pushed (forwarded) (as opposed to Blackberry's polling - takes too long) to Blackberry's BIS (Blackberry Internet Service). Exchange and Outlook can accept 100MB messages, but BIS has only an 8MB per message size limit (5MB usable - approx 2MB mail + 3MB attachment).

So to fix the BIS oversize problem we set a 5MB receive limit for the "alias" user in Exchange so larger messages don't get sent to the BB. Unfortunately this also stopped any indication of oversized messages from going to BIS at all. So now our user is unaware when a client sends him a "too large for BB" message, until he comes back in the office.

We can't do a BES (not his company, he's not buying one). What other configuration might we do in Exchange to fix this issue?

Re: Problem with large forwarded messages

Before the change, what would happen if the BB received an email larger than 8MB?

Comment

The BIS would issue a bounce that would go to the original sender of the e-mail - in this case that would be clients of our user. Our user doesn't want his clients thinking he's not getting their e-mails. This is a new setup so that didn't go on for long.

Comment

Can you set up a rule or BIS policy to disable the bounce?

Comment

I don't think so. Although maybe it could be disabled on the Exchange side.

Is there an maximum attachment size filter, rule, etc., that could block the sending of an included attachment if the size of the e-mail or attachment exceeded a certain threshold?

Comment

The best solution would be to deploy a BES - the professional edition is free for the first device. Then you will get full sync and none if this polling/sending hassle.

Simon.
            --
            Simon Butler
            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

No doubt. Unfortunately it's not an option as I mentioned above. He could also see about subscribing to one of the commercial BES services. But again, as it's for a company that he doesn't own so he won't pay for it, and the company won't pay for it either . . . That's why I'm looking for a solution on the Exchange side of things.
              Last edited by eganders; 14th January 2009, 20:06.

Comment

How is a free download of BES not a viable solution? As sembee said it is free for the first user - all you need is the Blackberry PIN so you can download the software. It doesn't even need to be installed on the Exchange server.

Link.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

The company doesn't want it installed on their computers, so he would need a spare computer to run BES on, not including the time required to setup and then occasionally administer the BES.

I appreciate pushing the BES. I tried. It's not going to fly. So please, no more BES talk.

What can be done sticking with Exchange?

Comment

If they aren't prepared to deploy a BES then I would suggest that the device is returned and a Windows Mobile device supplied instead. Without a BES the Blackberry is nothing but a toy, to show off to other people - completely useless as a productivity tool. I would actually say it would reduce the productivity because the user will be outside of the rest of the site due to the poor sync experience.
                    Blackberry was designed for corporate email and BES. Everything else has been done to increase the sales of the devices to consumers. Trying to use the consumer based solutions with Exchange is painful.

That is why everyone keeps going on about BES. Anyone who has tried and then moved to BES will tell you the same thing.

Simon.
                    --
                    Simon Butler
                    Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Also, if this is not "approved" by the company why are you working so hard to get it working? Is this user the type that thinks he's more important than everyone else, has special needs in the execution of his job, and therefore should not be bound by company policy?

If you can't set a BIS rule and you can't set up BES, then I'm afraid there's no hope. There's nothing on the Exchange side that will help you in this situation.

Comment

I agree 100% with sembee and joeqwerty. If the user had approval to buy a Blackberry that should include approval for the necessary infrastructure to support it. If he did not, or if it is a personal purchase being used for business purposes he should not be allowed to use it.

Exchange provides native support for Windows Mobile phones, and Nokia's Mail for Exchange client is also pretty good (although not as good as WM).

I'm seeing this problem more and more, and it's almost always caused by the assumption that the only way to get email on the go is via a Blackberry (Similar to all Vacuum Cleaners being "Hoovers" and all disposable ballpoint pens being "Biros" when these are brand names). I had a meeting with a customer recently to discuss options and she said that the people who wanted Blackberrys all changed their minds when they saw the range of Windows Mobile and Symbian phones available.
                        sigpic
                        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Slightly off topic, but I think you meant Bic when you mentioned writing pens. Or is that a geographic thing? You must be in Australia then.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                            There's nothing on the Exchange side that will help you in this situation.
                            Thanks Joe

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                              Slightly off topic, but I think you meant Bic when you mentioned writing pens. Or is that a geographic thing? You must be in Australia then.
                              Nah, I'm in Scotland as my profile says.

We tend to call them biros rather than Bics though, dunno why.
                              sigpic
                              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X