Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPAM mails from users own adress

Hi,
    I'm running Exchange 2003 SP2. I have GFI mail security, GFI mail archiver and and GFI mail essentials running on the mail server. My users are getiing spam mails from their own adresses. Why is this and what can i do to stop it?

I did set up my Intelligent messaging filter to 7 and 6 respectively, buit it seems it is not working. Any suggestions ot help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: SPAM mails from users own adress

I would check the GFI Mail Security settings/levels and the version. One of our customers (using Sophos PureMessage) had a big influx of those types of Spam messages recently and it was an up to date definitions wise but not at the latest program version of PureMessage causing the problem.

Had to call Sophos because of some issues during the install and they told me that there is a big increase in this type of spam lately. Maybe they just notice it more now that some of the large botnets have been shut down.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Are you asking why they are getting spam from their own addresses or are you asking why your antispam tools are not catching it?

Comment

Im asking why its happening and why gfi arent picking it up. Should i perhaps remove whitelisting?

Comment

Originally posted by GaryDaniels View Post
          Im asking why its happening and why gfi arent picking it up. Should i perhaps remove whitelisting?
          As I said previously is GFI 100% up to date? The problem my customer had was that the definitions were 100% up to date but the program was not, so could not deal with the new type of Spam attack.

GFI tech support are pretty good, I spoke to them yesterday about a mail archiver issue so it might be worth a call to them too.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Have you whitelisted your domain name in the senders list?
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

We have had the same issue.

This is caused by having your external domain in the whitelist, which a lot of Anti-Spam products do automatically (Spamfighter etc.)

Usually fixed by just removing the external domain as with Exchange internal email will be with your .local addresses and you only send out with your external address as incoming should be the recipients address and not yours

Having made this change, we are no longer getting them

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                As I said previously is GFI 100% up to date? The problem my customer had was that the definitions were 100% up to date but the program was not, so could not deal with the new type of Spam attack.

GFI tech support are pretty good, I spoke to them yesterday about a mail archiver issue so it might be worth a call to them too.

Hi, Sorry, yes, i updated the program as well. I will remove my own domain from the whitelist as well. Thank you for the replies, i will give feedback here.

Comment

Working...
                X