Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove Second Exchange 2003

Dear All,

I have an Exchange 2003 installed on a Windows 2003 with AD on it. I have installed a new 2003 server and joint the domain. I have also installed an exchange 2003 on the new server after preparing the schema of the win 2000 server. Later I have moved all the mailboxes to the new server. I now want to remove the first exchange 2003 from the win 2000 server and dicommision the server. What is the best way to go about it. I will also move all FSMO roles to the new server.

Thanks

Thomas

Re: Remove Second Exchange 2003

The best setup would be to use both servers, one as a DC and the other for Exchange. Microsoft (and the majority of experienced admins) very strongly recommend tnat you don't run Exchange on a DC. From a performance perspective, Exchange uses up the available RAM on a system - while it releases memory when required by other processes, you will notice a marked performance hit on your DC. From a security perspective, by running Exchange on your DC you are exposing the DC to the internet.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Lets say I keep the first win 200 server as a DC, what are the step necessary to remove the exchange from it and have the second server act as an mail server.

Thanks

Thomas

Comment

First hit when I Google "uninstall exchange" - "How to Uninstall Exchange Server 2003" http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb125110.aspx
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X