Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENABLING A POP ACCOUNT TO USE WHEN OUT OF THE OFFICE

Hi,

Ive installed a new exchange server 2003 (SBS2003).

Ive setup the exchange server and all is working well with email for the 4 users.

the boss used his laptop insterstate last week and found (using dialup) he had no problems accessing his email thru outlook using remote desktop but when he opened attachements ie pdf it was too slow.

Ive setup a pop account so that when he is out of the office using dial up he can enable his pop account for his office email and disable his exchange server email (ive also enabled leave on server for 10 days). When he returns to the office he does the opposite.

Thats the plan......

1. is this the best way to get around the slownest of accessing his outlook email thru dial up access?
    2. When he logs back at work will his existing email on his notebook sync with the exchange server?

Thanks in advance?

peter
    Peter Elliott

1. No it will still be slow. Downloading the pdf is the problem here, a 10MB file be it pdf or zip is still slow at 56k, however once downloaded it will function normally.

2. Things should still sync up.

I see no reason to use pop3 unless he's dialing directly into your site otherwise OWA would work just as well.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

thanks andrew,

take your points.

ive read a lot about owa (trying to find out how to implement it what i found difficult to find!).

Some of the advice is that its best to have 2 server (front and back). I havent got that luxury. Its enabled on the server but is there a port i have to open on the firewall to get access to it? IS there setup softwre i need to run?

thanks
      peter
      Peter Elliott

Comment

Originally posted by pedrotheswift
        ...trying to find out how to implement it...is there a port i have to open on the firewall to get access to it?
        You must have IIS installed, and forward port 80 and/or 443 if you plan to use SSL.

Originally posted by pedrotheswift
        ...Some of the advice is that its best to have 2 server (front and back). I havent got that luxury...
        This is preferred but not required. Like you said, it's a luxury.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

thanks ahinson. i'll giv it a try.

peter
          Peter Elliott

Comment

The following link has the instructions that I used to setup OWA for the first time. Follow them through and if you have a problem, post back here. http://www.petri.com/configure_ssl_o...e_with_iis.htm
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X