Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 user, 2 email addresses, choose from address

Hello everyone,

first, great thanks to everyone for the amazing wealth of knowledge here. I've learned so much and hope I can make some contributions as well.

A user in my organization has a need to send from 2 separate domain addresses, for example [email protected] and [email protected]. Currently, she can only send from aaa.com, but the recipient policy has several smtp domain entries already, and allows her to receive mail on any of the domains. The problem is that she needs to be able to select which domain to send from on a per message basis (depending on which clients she is contacting).

I've read through the forums here and all I can come up with is that I should create another user account for her, then add access to that exchange box to her Outlook so that she can alternate when she needs to. This seems like an awkward solution, as the system won't allow me to use the same username for the secondary account. Not a huge deal, but I figure if she can already receive email sent to the secondary domain, why can't she choose which email to send from? Seems liek this should be simple.

I sincerely hope the solution isn't as easy as using a drop down box in the Outlook compose window, as I didn't see it there.

Any thoughts?

Re: 1 user, 2 email addresses, choose from address

Can't be done without 2 user accounts as far as I know. A user can have multiple SMTP addresses to receive from, but outgoing email always is sent from the default address.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

You'll have to create a new user with [email protected] as the primary address and create a second Outlook profile to use that account. It will be a pain to switch from one to the other though.
      If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

You don't have to use two profiles. It can be done with a single profile. You just use the From field to control the email the message appears to come from.

I don't see what username has to do with it. The username of the account in AD has nothing to do with the email address, so just use something like username.domain2 or something like that.

Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
          You don't have to use two profiles. It can be done with a single profile. You just use the From field to control the email the message appears to come from.
          Do you mean configuring send on behalf permissions? The recipient see "aaa on behalf of bbb" which i'm guessing is not what the OP wants.
          If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

You can give the user "Send As" rights for the second mailbox by granting them "Server Side" permissions to the mailbox. "Send on Behalf of" is configured in the user account's "Exchange General" tab; "Server Side" permissions is when you add the user to the security tab of the other user account with "Send As" permissions. (Server 2003 with Exchange 2003).

When a user has "Send As" rights, they can choose the address to send from in the "From" box of the email they're writing; when the email arrives at the destination it will be as if the second user sent it. This is DANGEROUS. Don't use it to allow one human being to "Send As" another human being.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Here's a simpler solution:

Add two accounts to her Outlook profile:

1. Exchange account to connect to her mailbox, using her primary SMTP address
              2. Pop account to connect to her mailbox, using her secondary SMTP address
              3. Configure the POP account to never do a Send/Receive

By virtue of the fact that Outlook has two accounts (both connected to the same mailbox) she'll have the option when sending email to select which account to send from.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                Here's a simpler solution:

Add two accounts to her Outlook profile:

1. Exchange account to connect to her mailbox, using her primary SMTP address
                2. Pop account to connect to her mailbox, using her secondary SMTP address
                3. Configure the POP account to never do a Send/Receive

By virtue of the fact that Outlook has two accounts (both connected to the same mailbox) she'll have the option when sending email to select which account to send from.
                I like this solution, but I'm not sure how to configure a POP account to connect to the exchange server, as I don't know the POP and SMTP addresses.

Comment

Assuming we're talking about one mailbox in Exchange, the SMTP and POP server is your Exchange server. You have to make sure the POP3 service is running and that the user has POP enabled on their AD user account.

We use this method all the time for users that want to be able to send as multiple aliases.

Comment

I can't understand how this will give the user permission to "send as" the other mail address? Surely (because you're NOT sending via POP or SMTP) Exchange will just say "You do not have permission to send email from this address" or whatever the message is... or it will say "Your Exchange server is configured to disallow relaying" or some such.

Can anyone clarify for me how this would be working from the server side? Also how is it simpler (both from a setup AND from an ongoing management and maintenance POV) than the Microsoft Preferred approach of giving SendAs permissions?

Tom
                    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Stonelaughter, you're referring to using two different user accounts/mailboxes. I'm referring to using one user account/mailbox.

You set up two accounts in your Outlook profile: the first account is an Exchange account connecting to the mailbox. The second account is a POP account connecting to the same mailbox. When you have multiple accounts in your Outlook profile, Outlook gives you the option to "send as" from either account. This is merely a way of tricking Outlook into allowing you to send as any one of multiple email aliases.

Comment

Well I tried it by setting up 2 separate accounts in the same profile. When i sent via account B (the POP option, which appears in the "Accounts" drop down) using SMTP, it comes back immediately with the error "unable to relay". Is there a way to select the second account as the "from address" but then send via the exchange account? Originally, i had disabled send/receive on the new account, and so the message would just sit in the outbox. Then I enabled send only, and saw the "unable to relay" error.

hmm.
                        Last edited by dsutton01; 9th January 2009, 19:38.

Comment

You need to enable relaying on your SMTP server in Exchange. Set it up to allow relaying only from your local subnet or, if you have external users who will need to do this, set it up to allow relaying from authenticated computers. Note: this does not make your Exchange server an open relay.

Comment

Thanks for all the help on this one guys.

Just another update. I tried enabling SMTP relaying on the server. I tried with the user's IP, with the user's account name, and by checking the "all all authenticated" box. Unless it takes a while to propagate, none of those worked. I continued to get the same error message in my inbox, immediaetly after sending.

Comment

Working...
                            X