Using .prf Files to import Multiple Exchange Mailboxes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using .prf Files to import Multiple Exchange Mailboxes

I'm trying to create a .prf file that I can call to setup Outlook so it includes not only the user's mailbox, but a given set of other mailboxes.

Our secretary has access to the mailboxes of all the executives. I need to setup a logon script for her so that where ever she logs in, this .prf file will be called and Outlook will open with all the exec mailboxes in the tree.

Can this be done with a .prf? If not, can it be done from the command line or script so she doesn't have to re-add all the mailboxes every time she logs in?

Thanks.

Re: Using .prf Files to import Multiple Exchange Mailboxes

Which version of Outlook? Certainly for me, using Outlook 2003 I have added 2 other users mailboxes to my Outlook folder tree, and they persist between sessions. Does this not work for you then?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I can add them manually and they persist, but I need a way to not have to add them manually. I need some sort of automation for adding mailboxes (other than for the user who is logged in).

Comment

Surely though if they persist, then they only need to be manually added once - which from your OP, it sounds like they already are?

I may be missing something but I can't see the need for you to do this with a logon script or similar.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Does the "why" really matter? We would find it mighty handy to have some automatic way to add mailboxes to Outlook (2k3 btw) in our environment.

What if it's more than one person, what if those people log into multiple machines, what if there are many (many) mailboxes to add, etc?

Comment

I'm only suggesting alternatives. Your original post suggested that it was only the one user.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Sorry, I was providing an example.

Comment

Likewise. My reason for asking why you want to use a PRF is partly to increase my understanding of the issue at hand, but also to encourage you to explore the alternatives. Hopefully we'll both learn something new
                Gareth Howells

Comment

AFAIK the adding of additional mailboxes to an Exchange profile cannot be done with a customized PRF File.

I have stumbled upon this COM DLL,
                  Normally MAPI profiles can only be manipulated using Extended MAPI in C/C++/Delphi. Profman library allows to manipulate MAPI profiles from any language, including VB and VB script. Note that Outlook 98/2000 installed in the Internet Only Mode (IMO) does not have profiles.

Install Profman: Profman.dll is a regular self-registering COM dll; to register it either run regsvr32.exe Profman.dll or mark the dll as self-registering in your favorite installer.

(Distributable version of Redemption comes with a bonus library - Profman.)

Example: Add an extra Exchange mailbox to a given profile
                  http://www.dimastr.com/redemption/profiles.htm#example6

_
                  You could give it a try.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                  and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
                  X