No announcement yet.

Scanning Directly to Public Folder

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanning Directly to Public Folder

Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2, Exchange 2003 Standard SP2, Office 2007 Standard.

SMTP and POP are disabled on the Exchange server and Outlook 2007 clients are configured with two accounts; the default is our external POP email host and the second is the exchange server for the mailbox store.

My customer has a KonicaMinolta 7272 Scanner/Printer/Copier. End users often scan documents from the 7272 to a folder on our file server (separate server from the exchange server), then email others inside the office with the scanned document as an attachment. This means that we have a copy of the scanned document on the file server, a copy in the originators sent items and a copy in each of the reciepients inbox folders.

I would like to setup a public folder to recieve scanned documents directly from the 7272. I can configure the 7272 with an SMTP IP, port, DNS IP & NIC Domain Name.

How can I create a mailbox or account that recieves directly into a public folder? Has anyone ever setup such a system on similar hardware?

Thank you,

Rob Tapp

Re: Scanning Directly to Public Folder

Out of curiosity, why not just make it clear to the users that scanned files are held on drive Z in folder Y? IMO, by far preferable to storing them in the Exchange IS.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Not done it with this hardware, but normally you can tell the scanner to use your SMTP server and scan to a particular email address, then mail enable the PF and Robert's your father's brother....
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Exactly as Ossian said, mail enable the PF, configure the scanner to scan to email to that address, set the PF Default and Anonymous roles to Contribute permission and bada bing bada boom!

If you aren't using SMTP with Exchange (it is very hard not to, but I guess you have decided to cripple the product in that way), then you are not going to be able to send scans to a public folder. Mail enabling the public folder requires SMTP access and even if you were to bounce the email off your ISPs SMTP server, you have no way to get the message in to Exchange.

Use Exchange as it was designed to, which is where Exchange is responsible for all email, rather than the POP3 connection to your ISP (why are you doing that anyway?) then you could email the Public Folder.

Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
          Exchange Resources List:
          In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Thank you for your input.