OWA redirecting to local domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OWA redirecting to local domain

We have Exchange 2003 with OWA. This works fine internally using the local exchange server name and local domain. OWA is published though our firewall to the internet and the intenert DNS servers contain our external DNS name. The external name correctly routes through to our Exchange server.

When accessing OWA externally (from the internet) the user enters the url as <dnsdomanname>/exchange. The users gets the logon page and enters credential. The outer OWA frame is displayed (with the splitter bar) but the ineer OWA pages (the treeview and the mail listing) cannot be displayed.

We have looked at the HTML source of the main url and it appears that the inner pages have been redirected to the local domain which cannot be resolved on the internet.

I has seen references to similar problems with Exchange 2007. Does anyone have any ideas how to resolve this?

Cheers, Jigsaw

Re: OWA redirecting to local domain

Which Exchange edition? Which Exchange SP?

What OS version / edition / SP?

Are the OS and Exchange fully up to date with the latest patches?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

We are using Exchange 2003. The OS is windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2. Everything was working OK a few weeks ago. We will check to ensure we have all the latest patches

Thanks, Jigsaw

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
        Which Exchange edition? Which Exchange SP?
        And as above?
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

We are currently installing all latest Server 2003 updates. Exchange is not the latest service pack so will install this tommorrow. The odd thing is that is has been working OK.

Thanks, Jigsaw

Comment

Am I understanding correctly that you are trying to access http://FQDN/exchange and it is then redirecting you to server.ad_domain/exchange or some variation of that. From outside your network of course?

Comment

Hi Edvinh,

Yes you are exactly right. If we access OWA from the internet using the FQDN (i.e. the name used by users on the internet as opposed to the AD name on the LAN). OWA seems to redirect it to the local domain (e.g. the Active Directory name) which cannot be resolved on the internet DNS.

If you are on the intenet and attempt to access OWA uing the FQDN then you will see the OWA main page with the vertical splitter bar but the contents of the frames (i.e. the folder list on the left and the main inbox list on the right cannot be displayed). If we view he source HTML for the frameset you can see that these inner pages point to the Active Directory name and not the FQDN names.

I cannot see anywhere that this behaviour can be changed in OWA.

Comment

I see, lets try this then. Can you answer any of these;

1. What is the extension that your using locally?
                2. Have you created DNS pointers on your local DNS to correspond to the internal server?
                3. Have you replicated your public DNS to your server? (usually not a good thing)
                4. Are you using FBA?

Comment

1. What is the extension that your using locally?
                  2. Have you created DNS pointers on your local DNS to correspond to the internal server?
                  3. Have you replicated your public DNS to your server? (usually not a good thing)
                  4. Are you using FBA?

1. When accessing OWA on the LAN we use the FQ Active Directory name, e.g.
                  mailserver.addomain.local/exchange. Please note that I cannot provide the actual names for security reasons. This works OK.

2. The Local DNS servers (on our Domain Controllers) correctly resolve mailserver.addomain.local to the IP address of the Exchange server.

3. The public DNS is hosted by our ISP and resolves a public name e.g. mailserver.dnsdomain.co.uk to a public IP address. They route this public IP address through their Firewall to the internal IP address of our Exchange server. This routing appears to be OK as a user on the Internet will get prompted for credentials.

4. FBA was originally turned on but it was turned off while we are looking at the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jigsaw View Post
                    1. When accessing OWA on the LAN we use the FQ Active Directory name, e.g.
                    mailserver.addomain.local/exchange. Please note that I cannot provide the actual names for security reasons. This works OK.
                    What TLD are you using on your LAN - a valid or invalid 'public' TLD?
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Our FQ AD domain name is in the form addomain.local

Comment

We also tried to reset the OWA virtual directories but still got the same problem. I am beginning to think that a complete Exchnge rebuild may be the only option

Comment

The AD dns domain name is in the format addomain.local

Comment

You have said OWA is "published".
                            Is that a straight port forward, or something else, like ISA?

Have you made any attempts to force SSL, redirect pages, anything like that?

Simon.
                            Last edited by Sembee; 6th January 2009, 19:09. Reason: Added more stuff.
                            --
                            Simon Butler
                            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Can you resolve the FQDN name from inside your network?

ie; ping hostname.realdomain.com from inside your network, from your server and get the correct external IP?

Comment

Working...
                              X