Exchange 2003 bizarre behavior

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 bizarre behavior

I have Exchange Server 2003 on the server and Outlook 2007 on the user PCs. I have one user with an unusual problem. When he logs on to Outlook, using his desktop, it downloads the messages and leaves them on the server. When he logs in using his laptop, it downloads the messages and deletes them from the server. I have checked all of the Outlook settings, having the two units side-by-side. I can't find anything different. Both units are inside our LAN. This really has me stumped. The user is frustrated because he is forced to log on with his desktop if he is to retain the messages. When he is on the road, and retrieves the messages, they are no longer on the server when he returns.

BTW: The user is our Managing Director. I REALLY need to find a solution to this.

Re: Exchange 2003 bizarre behavior

Is the user using POP on his laptop? Exchange using MAPI does not download the messages from the server, only POP connections do.

Comment

He has 2 accounts set up. One is POP, the other is not.

Comment

The POP account has the option to leave messages on the server, the Exchange account does not.

Comment

What do you mean he has two accounts? He has two different user accounts with mailboxes?

Comment

He has one POP3 account set up to get "outside" email, and he has an internal account that acceses the Exchange server. Nothing unusual. I many users (myself included) to are set up that way. My Gmail messages are retrieved using a POP3 connection setup in my Outlook on my desktop. He is the only one that is having trouble with the Exchange connection.

If I read my Exchange mail here, and go home, log on using OWA, the messages are still on the Exchange Server. If he logs on using his laptop, reads his exchange messages, logs off, and logs on with his desktop, the messages are gone. They were downloaded to his laptop.

I have never run across this before, and we have been running various versions of Exchange Server for many, many years. I am sure it is a "secret" configuration setting, but I'll be darned if I can find it.

Comment

So, his laptop is configured to connect to his Exchange mailbox via POP then. As I said earlier, Outlook clients connected to Exchange VIA MAPI (and RPC over HTTP) don't download the email to the client. Only POP connections do. I would delete his Outlook profile on the laptop and create a new one, configuring it to connect to Exchange VIA MAPI (the default) or RPC over HTTP.

Comment

No, it is not configured as a POP account. When the account was set up, it was setup as an exchange account. He does, have a POP account that retrieves mail from an external server.

Comment

Well if it's not configured as a POP account then I don't understand what could possibly be happeneing. Outlook configured for Exchange uses MAPI to connect and does not download emails. IMHO your best bet at this point is to delete and recreate the Outlook profile on the laptop.

Comment

That's why I am so stumped. I was thinking that maybe he had it set to work offline, but even then I don't think it would delete the message from the server. I, also, came to the conclusion that I might have to set it up all over again. But I fear he may lose the messages on his PC. The server is Exchange Server 2003 and the clients are Outlook 2007. I will have to make sure he is not still on Outlook 2003, although I don't think that would be an issue.

Comment

When setting up more than one account (such as a POP account), it becomes possible to deliver mail to more than one location.

To keep Exchange mail on the Exchange server, the local Outlook profile must be set up to deliver all mail to:
                      "Mailbox - <name>"

Most likely the Profile for the Exchange Server account has been changed / set up to deliver all mail to the local computer instead. I'm unsure about Outlook 2007, but to change this back in Outlook 2003, go to:
                      Tools | Email Accounts | View or Change existing accounts...
                      (Alternately you should be able to do the same thing from outside Outlook from within "Settings | Control Panel | Mail" and it should look the same regardless of what version of Outlook you're using.)

Highlight the Microsoft Exchange Server process in the top section and then look in the bottom section for "Deliver new e-mail to the following location". It should say "Mailbox - name". If it instead says something like "Personal Folder File", then change it back.

If this is set up correctly, then the profile is messed up. Save all local mail to a PST file, copy appropriate settings and passwords down, then completely delete the profile and set it back up from scratch. Test it by only setting up the Exchange server portion first, assure it's working right, then set up the POP account. You can also test this without deleting the old profile by simply setting up a new profile and telling the computer to use that one instead.

Hope this helps!
                      Last edited by Xeiran; 31st December 2008, 18:50.

Comment

Why didn't I see that "deliver to" box before? What an idiot! I knew it would be something simple. Thanks a ton, man.

Comment

Been following this thread with interest.
                          Can you please clarify:
                          The client and otheres have 2 email accounts.
                          1. is an exchange account used in house.
                          2. is an external account used when off site.
                          Is the external account a pop3 account or not?
                          Looking forward to being of further help.
                          GS

Comment

Working...
                          X