Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forward mail option not working

Hi

I have installed a ex2003 server on an 2003 sp1 server and am activating only a few accounts to test prior to changing from an SMTP pop3 system. Outlook is configured to pop the pop server and store the messages on the exchange box, simple, basic and it works. Now the fun starts...

when using OWA this pop feture is bypassed, so to enable mail sent from OWA to get delivered, i have set the " forward all mail through ..." in the general tab of the Internet mail connector prop box to our existing pop server.

Our existing pop server hosts a lot of alias domains so the email account [email protected] will also get mails to [email protected]. (both are our domains and have the neccesary mx records pointing to our mail server)

The problem is that if i send a mail to one of the aliases by OWA it gets forwarded to our pop3 server and delivered. however when i send an email to another alias (our main one, but not our domain name) it seems to try and local deliver and doesnot pass it on to the pop3 server for delivery. ( icheck the message tracking centre)

The domain it is not sending on is the domain i have set as the default recipient policy if that helps.

Any help would be appreciated

Thx
    ________
    silver surfer vaporizer
    Last edited by Richie; 19th January 2011, 19:40.

An update, i have deleted the internet connector and am relying on the SMTP Virtual Server, if i put the FQDN of the SMTP server i want to relay to in the "Forward all messages.." box in the messages tab of the SMTPVS prop box, only one of the domains i send to works, the others fail. If i then put this FQDN in the Smart host box (Delivery\advanced) the other domain works and the domain that worked, fails (tearing hair out time)

I have therefore put this FQDN in BOTH and all domains work.

Comments would be appreciated
    ________
    BMW R47

Comment

Is the Domain that is not working setup in your recipient policy on your exchange server ? If so then exchange will attempt a local delivery rather than forwarding out to your relay.

topper
      * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Topper

This is what is happening, it appears to be trying local delivery on the default recipient domain. its very confusing as if i put a smart host in only, i would expect ALL mail to go here without trying local delivery, but it doesnt.

By putting our SMTP server in both boxes appears to have fixed the problem, however it bugs me as to why.

Thx once again
        ________
        silver surfer reviews

Comment

I'm surprised that adding the relay to your connector and your SMTP VS made it work.

There is nothing wrong with your exchage setup, if the domain is in your recipient policy then the exchange server thinks that itself is the server that handles email for that domain, and so does not need to send out to your relay.

topper
          * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Working...
          X