No announcement yet.

need help running forest prep while installing exchange 2003 for the first time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help running forest prep while installing exchange 2003 for the first time

Howdy Y'all!

Please forgive any ignorance but I am more of a user app teacher than a network adminstrator.

I teach classes at a small non prophit. Management decided since "I'm the computer guy" that I can do all things on a computer so I get to install Exchange. I'm sure you all can relate to this at one time or another.

I've managed to build two 2003 DCs and now I'm trying to load exchange 03 on the second one. They both have active directory on them, but only the first one has DNS and DHCP. The second one is supposto be just an exchange server.

I've run the wizzard with the Exchange disk and did all the ASP and IIS stuff and checked that a second and third time.......but when I get to the point where it says to run Forest Prep it gives me the following error:

the component "microsoft exchange forest preparation" cannot be assigned to the action "forestprep" becuase: - Either you do not have permission to update the active directory schema or active directory service is currently too busy.

I did search a bit and YES I did add my user to the local adminstrators group as well as the Schema Admins and the Enterprise and Domain administrators group. A google search revealed this registry hack that Microsoft recomends

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326262

but that didn't seem to do much either.

HELP! pretty please........any and all ideas are much appreciated!

Thanks

Mike

Re: need help runing forest prep while installing exchange 2003 for the first time

FYI, it is against best practices to install Exchange on a DC - installation on a member server is preferable for security reasons.

Do the event logs and dcdiag show that your system is healthy?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: need help runing forest prep while installing exchange 2003 for the first time

Are you using THE administrator account or another one?
      I always use THE administrator account for prep and Exchange installs, I have no problems that way.

Simon.
      --
      Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
        Are you using THE administrator account or another one?
        I always use THE administrator account for prep and Exchange installs, I have no problems that way.

Simon.

Well, first off to the two sirs that have allready responded I say:

Thank you

and

Thank you!

but in any case.....yes i'm running as the administrator that is also a member of everything....at first i tried it as myself (Mike) which has been added to all the administrative groups and then i tried it as the admin and still same result......

and as far as the DC thing........i have a really simple, small network.....only 25 workstations and these two servers (we were peer to peer before)

i only had the one DC but i promoted the second server (the exchange box) as a troubleshooting step since it said that it didnt' have access to AD........i don't really know what i'm doing so i thought that might help......it obviously didn't help

i think i'll run DCPromo against it i guess, to make it just a member server again.........

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          FYI, it is against best practices to install Exchange on a DC - installation on a member server is preferable for security reasons.

Do the event logs and dcdiag show that your system is healthy?

and OH....i almost forgot......dcdiag showed no problems.......

Domain Controller Diagnosis
          Performing initial setup:
          Done gathering initial info.
          Doing initial required tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\SVR2
          Starting test: Connectivity
          ......................... SVR2 passed test Connectivity
          Doing primary tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\SVR2
          Starting test: Replications
          ......................... SVR2 passed test Replications
          Starting test: NCSecDesc
          ......................... SVR2 passed test NCSecDesc
          Starting test: NetLogons
          ......................... SVR2 passed test NetLogons
          Starting test: Advertising
          ......................... SVR2 passed test Advertising
          Starting test: KnowsOfRoleHolders
          ......................... SVR2 passed test KnowsOfRoleHolders
          Starting test: RidManager
          ......................... SVR2 passed test RidManager
          Starting test: MachineAccount
          ......................... SVR2 passed test MachineAccount
          Starting test: Services
          ......................... SVR2 passed test Services
          Starting test: ObjectsReplicated
          ......................... SVR2 passed test ObjectsReplicated
          Starting test: frssysvol
          ......................... SVR2 passed test frssysvol
          Starting test: frsevent
          ......................... SVR2 passed test frsevent
          Starting test: kccevent
          ......................... SVR2 passed test kccevent
          Starting test: systemlog
          ......................... SVR2 passed test systemlog
          Starting test: VerifyReferences
          ......................... SVR2 passed test VerifyReferences

Running partition tests on : Schema
          Starting test: CrossRefValidation
          ......................... Schema passed test CrossRefValidation
          Starting test: CheckSDRefDom
          ......................... Schema passed test CheckSDRefDom

Running partition tests on : Configuration
          ......................... Configuration passed test CrossRefValidation
          ......................... Configuration passed test CheckSDRefDom

Running partition tests on : bayvistacommunitycenter
          ......................... bayvistacommunitycenter passed test CrossRefValidation
          ......................... bayvistacommunitycenter passed test CheckSDRefDom

Running enterprise tests on : bayvistacommunitycenter.org
          Starting test: Intersite
          ......................... bayvistacommunitycenter.org passed test Intersite
          Starting test: FsmoCheck
          ......................... bayvistacommunitycenter.org passed test FsmoCheck

Comment

Myke,

I've seen something similar to this before where someone installed Exchange and it wasn't properly removed or an install was aborted after forest prep was run.
            Make sure that the AD entries for Exchange aren't still lingering around.

Here's how to check.

Do this..
            -Open Active Directory Sites and Services
            -From the View menu select Show Services node
            -On the left, expand the Services node

If you see an Exchange folder...

-Select and delete Microsoft Exchange folder

Now rerun forest prep.
            Last edited by ahinson; 29th December 2008, 21:21.
            Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: need help running forest prep while installing exchange 2003 for the first time

I wouldn't install Exchange on a machine that was a domain controller any more than I would on a DC itself.
              Therefore if you want the machine to be a member server I would DC PROMO it out, then wipe it.

While you are rebuilding it, run the prep from the CD on the domain controller. You can run it from any server, the data will end up on the DC anyway, so you may as well run it from there.

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Re: need help running forest prep while installing exchange 2003 for the first time

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
                I wouldn't install Exchange on a machine that was a domain controller any more than I would on a DC itself.
                Therefore if you want the machine to be a member server I would DC PROMO it out, then wipe it.

While you are rebuilding it, run the prep from the CD on the domain controller. You can run it from any server, the data will end up on the DC anyway, so you may as well run it from there.

Simon.

well thanks again for the info y'all.....

i looked in active directory sites and services and didn't find anything exchange, but i'm going to go with the consus and DC Promo SVR2 out, format it and reload it and start again......i'm hopeing that i just messed something up by DC Promo-ing it three times allready (when i Promo it out, it will be four)

i allready have the drivers and stuff for this machine, so a reload won't be tough or time consuming at all......

i'll try that today and leave an update......

Comment

Originally posted by Myke View Post
                  and OH....i almost forgot......dcdiag showed no problems.......
                  Ok, that's good. Worth checking the event logs though - in fact it's worth keeping an eye on them every couple of days, for a production system.
                  Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                    Ok, that's good. Worth checking the event logs though - in fact it's worth keeping an eye on them every couple of days, for a production system.
                    o.k. y'all......i got the scoop....

i don't know what i did other than the stated obvious, but i was taking Sembee's advice and de-promoting it from a DC before i formatted the hard drive but just for giggles i tried to load forest prep / doman prep/ exchange and it went on easy as pie!!

i had to run off so i haven't set up anything beyond that yet so i'm not sure yet what post-install config stuff i'm supposto do now but i had a question for gforceindustries:

i've never really looked through logs files on anything, none the less exchange......

what am i looking for?

Comment

i've never really looked through logs files on anything
                      There are many problems that can occur that will only make themselves visible in the event logs, until they start to cause a major headache. If you never look at the event logs, then you're going to find it very difficult to know what is happening on your systems.

what am i looking for?
                      Warnings and errors - the events that aren't of type Information. Information events are useful too, though.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                      X