Exchange 2003 on member server cannot connect to Domain Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 on member server cannot connect to Domain Server

Hi all .. I had a server crash that was the only Domain Controller with a second member 2003 server running Exchange 2003. Due to many small and large problems, the Domain Server could not be restored and was rebuilt from scratch using a different domain name. Users and computers will be added to the directory. I am assuming I can just remove the member server from the old domain and join the new domain. My question relates to how I can get the mailboxes connected back to the new user/domain. Right now, I cannot load Exchange System Manager as it tells me that it cannot connect to the domain. Will this be fixed when I join the new domain? I just don't want to do anything to lose the user mailboxes.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Exchange 2003 on member server cannot connect to Domain Server

Because Exchange is closely integrated with AD, this will not be easy, especially with a new domain name! All the documentation says to use exactly the same settings to allow a restore to take place.

I would look at 3rd party products like Ontrack's PowerControls which have proved invaluable in similar situations. Not cheap, though.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Do you have a backup of the Exchange server?
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

First off Exchange can do nothing without a DC so get that up and running ASAP.

Second, your existing Exchange org is toast as the new AD will know nothing about it so you might as well uninstall or better yet format and build a new member server.

Just make sure you save your DB's, as long as you have your DB's you are on easy street (so to say).

Ok so to make your life easy I sure hope your installing the NEW DC with the same computer name and AD domain name as the old version.

Fast forward ahead....

New DC has been installed, Member server added to the domain, now for exchange.

If you want to be able to mount the DB's from the original Exchange org you have to make sure to install it with the EXACT same org name as it originally had. If you can't remeber what you called it use something like legacyexchangeDN (or even find works) to get the name directly from the DB.

So at this point you should have exchange installed but blank db's mounted.
        So stop the IS, swap in your databases and mount them up.

Now it's time to get your users back into AD so you can reconnect the mailboxes.

The easy way to deal with this is to use a E2k tool called mbconn. MBConn will allow you to extract the user names from the original exchange servers DB to an ldif file. You then import this file to AD and BANG! magically all you users are now back in AD.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271886

Once you have the user objects back in AD use the mailbox re-connection center inside ESM to reconnect the mailboxes.

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/..._Recovery.html

GL

Comment

Working...
        X