Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Exchange Store to Remote Backup server

Hi,
    I am doing daily backup of file server to remote backup server over DSL link.
    Only new and changed files are copied.

I would like to know the applications that allow to make block based backup of Exchange Store database - changes only.

Thanks,
    Michael.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: Backup Exchange Store to Remote Backup server

Exchange backups are not like normal ones --- you must use an "exchange aware" backup program that will truncate the committed log files once the main database has been backed up
    (see here: http://searchexchange.techtarget.com...020743,00.html for some more info). In a recent post here, Sembee (Exchange guru here ) said he never does anything but a full backup.

With that in mind, any backup app that is (a) exchange aware and (b) able to backup to a remote storage area should do.

What size of store are you talking about?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Exchange 2003 isn't really suited to this type of backup.
      If you went to Exchange 2007 then you could use a second Exchange server and SCR, which will replicate the data across the link in small chunks. If you configure SCR at the point of installation, then as you moved data in to the server the data would get copied across in a controllable manner.

The major problem you have is that xDSL has limited upload speed, but Exchange backups are not suited to only copying up things that have changed. A diff backup may work, but as already pointed out, I ONLY do full backups because I want to reduce my restore time to a single tape, disk, whatever. I do not want to have to restore diff or incremental backups and run the risk of losing something because the backup was bad.

Simon.
      --
      Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Presently I backup Exchange store with regular NTBACKUP.
        I have .bkf file.
        In this particular office - SBS2003 12GB Exchange Store.

I beliveve I am on right way with the idea to backup only changed blocks in the file. And I know there are applications that do that.

Does it make sense?

Thx.
        "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

Exchange backups don't work that way.
          Just think about worse case, will you only restore changed blocks ? I don't think that works

Recovering to the point of failure is all about log files.
          Best method , Exchange full each night, that gives you your easiest path to recovery if needed.

Sure you can use incremental and save the time each night but that just adds extra complexity if and when you have to restore.

Your other option would be some form of snap-shot backup but I doubt someone running an SBS server would have the money to invest in this type of solution. (They are expensive! even for huge exchange shops).

Exchange full each night is the best way to go.

Comment

Many would argue that a full backup each night is the only way to truly backup Exchange. The trouble with incrementals is that unlike full backups, you rely on a series of backups all running correctly to be able to restore from it.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I must agree, a full backup is always the way to go with Exchange. Email is so critical these days that restore times in the event of a disaster has to be minimalised.

I assume there are cost issues involved for you as well here, and that is why you are doing this rather than a backup to tape? You can get DAT72 drives pretty cheaply these days which would do the job unless you have massive amounts of data. Ultrium drives are around 700 or so upwards here in the UK. Bottom line, if your data is critical then it's worth spending the money to protect it.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                I assume there are cost issues involved for you as well here, and that is why you are doing this rather than a backup to tape? You can get DAT72 drives pretty cheaply these days which would do the job unless you have massive amounts of data. Ultrium drives are around 700 or so upwards here in the UK. Bottom line, if your data is critical then it's worth spending the money to protect it.
                For reference, at our company we backup onto Dell branded LTO-3 media with a Dell LTO-3 SCSI drive - 60 per tape (individually) and around 800 for the drive. The sister company backs up onto HP branded DAT72 media with an HP StorageWorks USB drive - 5 per tape and 300 for the drive.
                Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                  For reference, at our company we backup onto Dell branded LTO-3 media with a Dell LTO-3 SCSI drive - 60 per tape (individually) and around 800 for the drive. The sister company backs up onto HP branded DAT72 media with an HP StorageWorks USB drive - 5 per tape and 300 for the drive.
                  I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as a long term solution, but DAT72 drives are dirt cheap second hand. We just fitted 2 new HP Ultrium drives for one of our customers and they gave us the DAT72s they replaced as they were skipping them otherwise.

It depends how concerned you are about hardware warranty TBH.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Agreed. "Cheap" backup hardware is a false economy. Sure, ideally you will never need to rely on it, but you still need to be sure that

a) failing hardware isn't going to impact on the reliability of your backup
                    b) if the hardware does fail, your warranty guarantees a rapid replacement
                    c) the backup media has sufficient capacity to let you take worthwhile backups
                    d) the backup media isn't so proprietary that you would have no hope of reading it again if your drive gets damaged
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Sorry people.
                      I guess that Exchange Store backup is FULL Exchange backup in SBS 2003. Isn't it?
                      I do it daily with NTBACKUP.
                      Also, 2 times per week I do FULL backup of SBS2003.

As output file I get .bkf. All this is stored on external USB drive that is taken off site once per week.
                      I am not on site everyday. Ideally, I would like to have it daily.
                      That's why I asked about block based backup.

My scenario:
                      Monday evening Exchange Full backup - 9 PM
                      Monday evening add changes from created file to the file in remote location (bkf).

I know that it's doable for other Databases.
                      If you will tell that Exhcange backup that is provided in SBS2003 NTBACKUP is not full I have to forget about this and rotate External Drives. LTO is a bit expensive for this site. However, I can recommend and find some good deals for them.
                      But the idea of remote daily copy is still attractive.

I do it for file server and it works fine. Every night File server with the data about 80 GB is backed (changes and new files only).

Thanks for your input...
                      Michael.

Comment

Ntbackup will do full or incremental backups - depending entirely on what you *tell* it to do.
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

I mentioned in the very beginning I do FULL backup.
                          The idea is that I want to transfer daily only changes in my daily Full backup bkf file.
                          And have it offsite.

Next I have SBS2003 server as Virtual machine offsite.

Real life example that I used it was in July, when company relocated and there where Internet outage for a week instead of a promised day.

I just started SBS on virtual and made DNS changes. Everyone was happy and amazed
                          I think that by having daily my full Exchange backup in bkf is not bad idea.
                          So I am looking for solutions of block based backup.
                          I found some topics even on open source Bacula and other for making what I need.
                          I am not an expert in Exchange but I recovered couple of times mailboxes from ful Exchange bkf (not SBS, real Exchange).

Comment

You've moved the goalposts quite a bit here.
                            Originally you want to "backup the exchange store" (or more precisely the changed blocks of it)

Now you are backing up the Exchange Store separately and want to back up the changed elements of the backup file. Not quite the same thing.....

We'll get back to you sometime....
                            Tom Jones
                            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I recommend Ahsay for offsite backup. Works a treat for our customers who backup to our servers.
                              Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Working...
                              X