Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need step-by-step help to configure POP3 Virtual Server Service on Exchange 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need step-by-step help to configure POP3 Virtual Server Service on Exchange 2003

:::Takes in a deep breath of fresh air and thinks how pathetic his life as a paper MCSE is:::

Hello, I have successfully (as if like it takes talent) installed an SBS 2003 envoirment. All users have Exchange mailboxes and life is good.

There are two users that cannot function without POP service; one uses a CRM software called goldmine which can only send and receive emails via POP, and the other has a BlackBerry and cannot afford to add the BES services on his Cellular account and therefore has to use the Inernet Mail feature of his handheld.

I need step-by-step help and I've gone to the following MS website http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.65).aspx and was totally confused by it.

I've learned enough to know that my objective is not just to get POP going but to have the users connect via TLS so that their username and password, which is also the way they log into the remote portal (obviously) not be transmitted via clear text.

I've honestly searched for weeks and cannot find anything on my own. I'd really appreciate your PATIENT help.

Thank you.

Nicolus

Re: Need step-by-step help to configure POP3 Virtual Server Service on Exchange 2003

FYI you don't need BES to pick up mail from Exchange on a BlackBerry, nor do you need to use POP - you can set them up to connect using HTTPS - if OWA works on your server, then the server-side setup is already done.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: Need step-by-step help to configure POP3 Virtual Server Service on Exchange 2003

...but if you want BES, I believe that for a small number of users you can get it free...

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

But you still need to be on a BES tarriff, which normally costs more than the BIS one
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Wow, nobody understood what I was asking...

Forget about BES and OWA or RPC over HTTPS. I need to offer POP services on the Exchange server.

As I said, the CRM software the user has ONLY accepts POP settings.

So the questions is, where can I find step-by-step instructions on how to offer POP services on the Exchange server?

Thank you.

Comment

Yes, we did understand - my initial response merely pointed out that for the Blackberry, you don't need to use POP. As for where can you find instructions on how to setup POP3 on SBS 2003, Google? Microsoft? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837368 is one of the first results when I Google "sbs 2003 exchange pop"
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Well very basically for POP3:
              Start the service and set to auto
              open protocols on your exchange server and find pop3 virtual server and start that (if not already).
              You can then setup a specific IP address, authentication, cert etc

Make sure your firewall allows connections inbound as well.
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Wow! Not one person gave any advice that was worth anything. I've got 22 year old gforce that likes to see his own words in print, so he just posts replies without really any purpose, and AndyG that whom, based on the simplicity and overt generalization of his post, if asked for financial advice he'd probably say, "Buy low, Sell high."

Not one person said, ok, he's asked to set up pop... These are the steps. He also wants TLS; Ok, here's what you need there. And finally bring it all together by setting up Outlook like this.

Man, people like to gain their 15 minutes of fame by just posting superfical comments. I guess that's one way to get your stat up.

That's alright... No more replies needed.

You all have a good holliday season.
                Last edited by Nicolus; 14th December 2008, 06:01.

Comment

Nicolus, a few points for you to ponder:

1. gforce gave you a link to an article that could have helped you if you had bothered to read it.

2. Others gave advice regarding BES, which did not address your question directly, but could have been helpful with other aspects of your deplotyment.

3. You could have googled for yourself and had your answers already. But instead you posted here and then bad mouthed people that responded to you. If I had an employee that didn't do his own "leg work" and then smack talked about others like you have done, I would fire him.

4. Your response is not likely to endear you to anyone here and at the very least will not get you the help you seek and may get you banned for your poor attitude.

Comment

Joe,

I appreciate your feelings. But you are also being assumptive. Number one, I have been "google"ing, Yahoo'ing, dogpile'ing and microsofting for about a week now. I've also searched this site for about an hour prior to posting. So no assumptions there. Trying "google"ing yourself and see if you find an article on step-by-step instructions to configure a POP3 server with TLS.

Second, gforce's article is totally off-topic. Matter of fact it is titled, "The default POP3 and IMAP4 virtual servers are stopped and you cannot connect to the POP3 and the IMAP4 services in Windows Small Business Server 2003" which is not the problem I'm having at all.

Third, if you've been around the forum circuit you know well what I'm talking about... There are just a lot of people that like their name in lights and post for the sake of "conversation." Look at me, I said something... That's my post up there. I'm famous.

And finally, the effectiveness of any forum can be measured by the targeted, concise, and professional responses by the members. Anything else belongs in the "perpetual coffee pot" forum where people come to reflect and chat.

I don't have poor attitude. I have a deadline. I need help. I don't need focused help. The same kind of help that I give when I read a post. I don't randomly give some suggestion, or emotion, or whatever. When I help someone, I say, Step A... Step B... Step C... Done.

You cannot argue with my desire to see an effective targeted response. I've come here because I've ran out of options. I'm not here for reflection and random talk. People need to respect that.

I've been a member since 2006. Not one random, or "my feelings on the topic are..." posts.

Comment

Nicolus, did you enable the service and start the virtual server like I asked? When this is running you can view all of the options there, including using NTLM for authentication among other things. If you could post what confused you with the MS info then maybe we could tailor replies a bit better? Are you not able to connect at all, can you get some bits working and some not etc.
                      cheers
                      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

This thread has been reported to the forum mods/admins and WILL be watched closely.

Nicolus, you gave a number of pieces of information in your original post and ALL replies have been related to those. You clearly said that Blackberries required POP3, and it was pointed out that they do not, and what other solutions are available. The idea of some of the replies was to help you solve your problem of providing a blackberry user with email.

Your comments in post #8 are unprofessional in the extreme and have no place on this board.
                        Your final sentence in post #10 is not borne out by your public statistics:
                        7 posts (since July 2006):
                        1 in welcome thread
                        1 "random reply" to another thread
                        1 request for help with no follow up to the reply you were given
                        (all the above were in early July 2006, with nothing more until...)
                        4 in this thread, at least two of which are "my feelings on the topic are..."

And as for
                        The same kind of help that I give when I read a post. I don't randomly give some suggestion, or emotion, or whatever. When I help someone, I say, Step A... Step B... Step C... Done.
                        I don't know where you have been helping people, but it is certainly not here

I strongly suggest that a public apology is in order at this point.
                        Last edited by Ossian; 20th December 2008, 08:00.
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Nicolus,

Every once in a while there's a smart guy that comes over, asks a question, gets some answers, and then instead of saying "thanks" or elaborating on the answers and continuing in a professional discussion, feels that we owe something to them.

We don't.

You asked a question, you got answers. You never bothered looking into those answers, because if you had, you'd see that YOU GOT YOUR ANSWER.

By doing a 1-second simple search in Google I got this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...earch&aq=f&oq=

How hard was it?

In any case, you got your answers. But instead of saying thanks, you staring monkeying around.

Now you've got my attention. The outcome of what comes up next is up to you.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I've been ill with a bad cold. I will give a prompt response soon.

We'll clear this up.

Nic

Comment

Working...
                            X