• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer To New Hardware

Can Someone Please Guide Me On How To Do The Following

Transfer Existing Dc With Ad And Exch 2003 To New Hardware

Thanks Thomas

Re: Transfer To New Hardware

What OS? What hardware are you going from and to? What backup medium and software are you using? When do you want to do it and how long have you got?

See - it's not as simple as "do this, do that, and then do this". It all depends on your situation.

Oh - and by the way unless it's SBS, I would advise getting Exchange OFF the DC and onto another machine - it is not recommended to have Exchange running on a domain controller.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

The Old Dc Is A Windows 2000 Server And The New Dc Is A Win 2003 R2 Server. I Have 2-3 Day To Finish. Only 10 Mailboxes On Old Server
      Can U Please Suggest How To Go About. The New 2003 Server Is Up And Running. I Have Joint The Domain. My Idea Is To Install Exchange 2003 On New Server Transfer All Mailboxes And Then Transfer All Fsmo Roles. Lastlty I Will Demote The Old Server And Remove The Old Exchange 2003

Comment

If you really really have to have Exchange on the DC then dcpromo the second box into the domain, let it sync, install Exchange, move mailboxes and fsmo roles and go through the correct steps to remove the old exchange server before you un-install AD. Having said that you need to be 100% sure everything has synced whenever you make a change. Is there no chance of keeping the old box, preferably with 2003 installed on it as backup? Exchange won't use it but you will have a better chance of DR should you require it.

LINK
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

The very most important thing that Andy said there, is that you CANNOT remove AD from the old 2000 box until Exchange is gone from it; it will break Exchange. Exchange off first, THEN AD off.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
          X