Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESE Event ID 474

HI

I am the new adminsitrator at my company and I found that that the past admnistrator did not backup one of the exchange server for 80days. WHen I try to run a backup , I get a Event 472 checksum error:
    The read operation will fail with error -1018 (0xfffffc06)

This error occur on one specific mailstore with only 3 huge mailboxes.

I cannot count from restoring the database file since it didnt backup for 80days.

What would be my best option here? Copy the database files on another drive and then run a repair with eseutil on the database?

I already try to run a checkdisk repair but it did not fix my issue

Thank you,

David[/B]

Re: ESE Event ID 474

Are these mailboxes accessible or working?
    From the wording of your email it implies you have more than one server, can you try moving these large mailboxes to another server or mailbox store on that server?

How big is "huge" as well?

Have you read this?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810411
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

HI,

Thank you for your quick reply.
      Yes, We have 2 back-end servers
      I did not try to move the mailbox since I thought that it would fail.

The "huge" mailboxes are around 2gigs

And yes the mailboxes are accessible and working but I am unable to back them up

Comment

2GB isn't that bad. I would wait for an evening/weekend, export them to PST either with ExMerge or Outlook (you might want to break them in half to make sure there are no issues with the 2GB size).
        Once you have them "backed up" that way, try moving them to the other server. If that works then delete the database and create a new one if it doesn't then delete it anyway and import back in the pst files.
        You need to fix the issues with the server first though. Update all firmware/drivers and windows updates (inc Exchange), once you have the backup, and then run any server diagnostics you have.
        Does this server run anything else? 3 x 2GB mailboxes seems a little overkill..
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

Thanks for the Advise Andy.
          I will try to back them up with a pst file during after hours and then move the database or repair it.
          I will try to update the server too
          Nah, We have a few mailboxes store on that server but this is the one that I am having problem with
          Last edited by Chammmmm; 8th December 2008, 16:37.

Comment

I would move them to another on the same server then. It sounds like the DB is corrupted somehow which does worry me though.
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

Andy,

I will let you know tomorrow

Comment

Andy,

From what iv been told the last admnistrator was deleting transaction log files manually to clear up disk spakce That might be why the database is corrupted

Comment

If there isn't a database to replay them back into then I guess it is kinda mute unless it crashed due to lack of space?

The error implies hardware. Is this db on a different lun?
                  Either way, did the move work?
                  cheers
                  Andy

Comment

Hi Andy,

Sorry for the delay but I had to postpone it..

So... the exmerge gave me an erreor message and he move mailboxe also. The repair database also returned an error message.
                    I moved the other mailboxes on the mailbox store to the other backend server.
                    Then I deleted the mailbox store and recreated the corrupted mailbox on the other server

Everything is working fine and I was able to backup everything.

I do not worry about hardware issues since we are Migrating to 2007 on brand new servers in the next month.

Thank you again

Comment

Working...
                    X