Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OWA Password change popup (new feature?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OWA Password change popup (new feature?)

All,

I recently migrated my Exchange environment to a new server, I have 248 mailboxes in a single-server domain running 2003-SP2. Many of these users are OWA only and they've been running for about two years on the old server without issue. The mail server is IIS box and the info-store server too, it is SSL-only with forms-based authentication running fine.

Something came to my attention recently is that there's now some sort of popup window they see when logging in asking them if they want to change their password (this is for those within the 14-day window on their account), is that something new in a recent patch or did I somehow install that feature without knowing it when I built the new server?

Bottom line is that the new 'thing" is broken, so I either need to get forms based auth working on it or disable it altogether. I don't even know what it is called much less how to fix it, does anyone know about this feature and how to troubleshoot it?

Re: OWA Password change popup (new feature?)

I guess you are refering to a Yellow-warning tag on the OWA reading-pane.. mentioned about the password.. then you might be refereing to "Password Expiry Warning"

This is the KB to add/configure the notification

833734 FIX: You experience various problems when you use the Password Change pages in IIS 6.0
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;833734

* Can you at the registry entries mentioned in the above KB?

Not sure if this is will be additional read for you:

937011 Password expiration messages no longer appear in Outlook Web Access after you update Exchange Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;937011

Cheers
    Aravind

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

That article is pre SP2 isn't it? Anyway, the files listed in the article are up to date.

i think there may be some confusion from my remote users.
      I have not seen it personally, I was trying to figure out a way to duplicate the thing on my account for testing.

From reports:
      It is described as a popup, but I'm wondering if it is indeed just the "yellow bar" thing instead.
      It looks similar to the regular IIS password change screen except the domain name and account are automatically filled in.
      It asks only for old and new (twice) passwords to be entered.
      It only pops up after successful authentication (forms-based) from the OWA logon screen.

I had a user enter the domain name in front of their user name and it worked. I just don't want to publish new instructions for doing that and make it any more confusing for these end-users.

Comment

Maybe ask your users to take a screenshot and send it to you? Assuming your users aren't like ours here, of course - if I asked our bunch to take a screenshot, half would dribble into the keyboard and half would be queueing up at the photocopier with their monitor under their arm.

Failing that, login to OWA yourself when your password is almost expired and see what you can see.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          if I asked our bunch to take a screenshot, half would dribble into the keyboard and half would be queueing up at the photocopier with their monitor under their arm.
          LOL, I didn't know you worked here too.

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Failing that, login to OWA yourself when your password is almost expired and see what you can see.
          I changed mine about two weeks ago, so I have ~75 days to go. I was trying to think up a way to duplicate it but came up empty. I think next user to call I'll have to ask for their current password, a practice I usually frown on, and check it out myself.

Comment

Assuming reports are inaccurate and it IS indeed the "yellow bar" thing, and my users are as inept as Gforce's...

Anyone know how or why the forms-based authentication would work for the IISADMPWD (options --> change password) feature but not on the 'yellow bar" password window?

Comment

UPDATE:

I was able to witness the situation this evening. First off, it is neither the yellow bar nor a popup, grrrr. What happens (only on those users withint the 14 day window of password expiration) is that AFTER a sucessful logon from the OWA homepage (forms based) those users are IMMEDIATELY asked if they want to change their password now, only choices being OK and cancel. Hitting cancel sends them back to the logon screen (account is NOT past the expiration), if they hit OK it appears to be the IISADMPWD screen. I say "appears" becuase it is ALMOST the same screen; white background black text, says "Internet Service Manager" on it and all. It is not identical since there's no field for domain name at all and the account name is auto-populated, also it is not a popup, it replaces all frames of the OWA site.

I am at a loss to explain why this option even appears or why forms based authentication does not put the domain name in front of their account name. If the user types the domain name in front of their username the change works and all is well, but this behavior is not what I expect or what we've had for years on the old server (and have instructions for) so this needs to be fixed. I'm considering changing the alert window from 14 days to zero as an interim workaround.

Please help oh gurus of Petri!

Comment

I am seeing lots of issues in Google around the password change functionality that was broken with Windows 2003 SP1, which was fixed by SP2.

For example:
                http://www.exchangeserverhelp.com/ftopic27181.html

It would appear that there is some functionality with the change password to redirect users to change their password, but it appears it should only trigger when the password has expired, not during the warning period. I can only guess that a combination of settings might cause it, but what those are I wouldn't like to say. It isn't something I have seen before (which isn't unusual because I do not do much network admin now - I deploy Exchange then I am gone).

Simon.
                --
                Simon Butler
                Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                X