No announcement yet.

Setting up inbound TLS on Exchange 2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up inbound TLS on Exchange 2003

Hi All,

I have a situation where I have a client that needs to accept TLS only inbound mail from a bank.

Postini is used as a spam filter and is set to deliver TLS if possible, then SMTP.

On the Exchange server, I have configured the SMTP virtual server to accept TLS mail. I set up a TLS/SSL cert on the SMTP virtual server as well. See the following screen shot:

I have asked the Bank to test emails to our environment. I'm noticing in the headers that they are sending TLS, but being delivered by Postini with SMTP:

Received: from ([]) by with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.1830);
    Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:41:07 -0500
    Received: from source ([x.x.x.x]) (using TLSv1) by ([]) with SMTP;
    Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:41:07 PST

Is there something I'm missing on my end? Does a certain port need to be opened for TLS? I read somewhere that SSL over SMTP (TCP port 465) isn't the same thing as TLS but other places say otherwise... does TCP port 25 need to be opened?

Can anyone help?
    Last edited by PhoenixTekBC; 28th November 2008, 23:25.

Re: Setting up inbound TLS on Exchange 2003

You need to ask Postini how they do the transfer of email. You may have to configure Exchange so that all email is transferred from Postini by TLS. They might support port 25 or they might support the 465 method. While the TLS port is now depreciated it is still used by many.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.