ADC won't install on Windows 2000 Sp4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADC won't install on Windows 2000 Sp4

I'm new to the forum. I have a problem that's driving me crazy. I have a system at home that I use for email. It's running AD, Windows 2000 Sp4, Exchange 2000 Sp3. All hotfixes & rollup patches are applied for both Windows and Exchange.

I've been trying to fix a replication problem with an Exchange 5.5 server I keep around. In the process I hosed the ADC. It looks like ADC is hosed and I have an orphan Connection Agreement.

I thought I could fix the problem by reinstalling ADC, but when I run setup.exe for ADC Sp3 it tells me that it needs Windows 2000 Sp2 or higher. Well I'm on Sp4 with patches so what gives??? Anyone know what this is about? I've searched but can't find anything relevant.

Did you try reinstalling SP5?

Open regedit and look in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/Current Version (at least that's where it is under XP). Do you see the correct service pack and build information? You might just be able to hack the appropriate registry keys to get the installer to work but I'd lean more towards reinstalling SP5 just to be sure.

Proven e-Commerce Solutions
    340 N. 12th St.
    Suite 200
    Philadelphia PA 19107

Comment

Service Pack 5?

For Windows 2000 ?

* Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

SP4, sorry, still waking up.

340 N. 12th St.
        Suite 200
        Philadelphia PA 19107

Comment

Originally posted by LincFu
          Did you try reinstalling SP5?

Open regedit and look in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/Current Version (at least that's where it is under XP). Do you see the correct service pack and build information? You might just be able to hack the appropriate registry keys to get the installer to work but I'd lean more towards reinstalling SP5 just to be sure.
          This was the first thing I thought about... but I have Sp4 and lots of hotfixes installed. It would take forever to remove the hotfixes and reinstall. I figure it would probably create a real mess. Note, I can't remember where I saw this, but I ran a tool that showed the Windows 2000 Post Sp4 hotfixes as Sp5. I think it was the Exchange Analyzer tool. I've heard there will be no official Sp5 for Windows 2000, but I guess these hotfixes are marked as such somehow.

I've got plenty of computers lying around. I thought I might try installing a new Exchange 5.5 server and/or a new Exchange 2003 server in the same Windows domain and Exchange organization. (The current ones are 5.5 and 2000). Then I could create a new ADC on the Ex 2003 server and that might fix the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by zitsky
            I've got plenty of computers lying around. I thought I might try installing a new Exchange 5.5 server and/or a new Exchange 2003 server in the same Windows domain and Exchange organization. (The current ones are 5.5 and 2000). Then I could create a new ADC on the Ex 2003 server and that might fix the problem.
            I'd stay away from installing another 5.5 server. Stick w/ 2000. If you're going to install Exchange 2003, you're treading the waters of a TIPTOS deployment. From my copy of Learning Exchange Server 2003 (Boswell, 2005):
            Speaking of keeping things simple, you should avoid deploying Exchange 2003 in the midst of an Exchange 2000 deployment that involves an upgrade from Exchange 5.5. Microsoft refers to this as a TIPTOS deployment, derived from the chemical symbols of thge code names for the three Exchange products: Titanium for Exchange 2003, Platinum for Exchange 2000, and Osmium for Exchange 5.5.
            So... 2003+2000+5.5 in one site? Don't do it!

340 N. 12th St.
            Suite 200
            Philadelphia PA 19107

Comment

Working...
            X